Two car bomb attacks killed 13 Iraqis and a US soldier yesterday ahead of a UN Security Council vote that was expected to approve a resolution on the country's move from occupation to sovereignty.
In the northern city of Mosul, three men in a taxi blew up their vehicle near the mayor's office, witnesses said. The US military said at least nine Iraqis were killed and 25 wounded.
Some bodies were charred beyond recognition.
An hour earlier, a car bomb exploded outside a US base in the town of Baquba, 65km north of Baghdad, killing four Iraqis and a US soldier. Eleven Iraqis were wounded.
US officials say they expect a surge of guerrilla attacks ahead of the formal handover of sovereignty to an Iraqi government on June 30. Discussions at the Security Council on a resolution endorsing the political process have been complicated by international wrangling and by divisions within Iraq.
France said on Tuesday it would back the latest draft resolution on Iraq after its US-British sponsors made last-minute adjustments on military policy.
The US and Britain have called for the 15-nation Security Council to vote on the resolution later yesterday.
France, which has veto power on the council, said it would vote in favor, even though it was not fully satisfied.
"This will not prevent us giving a positive vote in New York to constructively help find a positive way out of this tragedy," Foreign Minister Michel Barnier told France Inter radio.
Most diplomats expect a unanimous 15-0 vote for the resolution, which gives international legitimacy to a newly formed Iraqi interim government and authorizes a US-led multinational force, now at 160,000 troops.
"We think this is an excellent resolution," US Ambassador John Negroponte said. "Iraq is entering into a new political phase, one where it is reasserting its full sovereignty."
The Bush administration was keen for a vote early this week so that disputes over the resolution did not overshadow a G8 summit in Sea Island, Georgia.
At issue was how much control Baghdad's new leaders would have over major US-run military operations after June 30.
Meanwhile, coalition forces freed three Italians and a Polish contractor and captured their kidnappers in a raid on the outskirts of Baghdad last night, Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi said.
Just before word came from the Italian government, the commander of the Polish-led multinational force, General Miecyzslaw Bienek, said that the three Italians and a Polish contractor were freed by US special forces.
The hostage-takers "certainly were captured," Berlusconi told private TG5 TV. "The operation was carried out without bloodshed" after the hideout was under observation for a few days, he said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats