Iraq and the US tried to clear the way for passage of a new UN resolution by devising a plan for military partnership when the US-led occupation ends officially on June 30.
US Ambassador John Negroponte, who hopes for a vote in the 15-nation Security Council today, said a revised draft, the fourth in two weeks, was to be introduced yesterday.
The one hitch that might prevent quick adoption of the US-British measure on Iraq's future is a proposed amendment from France stating explicitly that Iraqi consent would be needed for any major military offensives by US-led forces.
But diplomats said it was doubtful Washington would agree to the language France had suggested.
Yesterday, Russia also said it still had reservations, but was pleased at changes in the amended resolution.
"Intensive diplomatic consultations ... have led to further positive changes in the Anglo-American draft resolution," Deputy Foreign Minister Yuri Fedotov told Interfax news agency.
"Nevertheless, there are still some issues to be agreed further."
The control of the 160,000 US-led troops has been the most contentious issue in the resolution, which gives international endorsement to the interim government and authorizes a multinational force under American command.
At a special session on Sunday, the Security Council received separate letters from US Secretary of State Colin Powell and Iraq's new prime minister, Iyad Allawi.
"We're confident that they do the trick," said Ambassador Emyr Jones Parry of Britain. He said his government understood that "the policy on sensitive offensive operations will require the assent" of a new Iraqi ministerial committee.
But the letters do not spell that out, prompting France, backed in part by China, Germany, Algeria and Chile, to request that the resolution make clear Iraq can block a major campaign, such as the American assault on Fallujah, which Iraqis opposed.
There was also no hint the changes would accommodate the Kurds, who are threatening to quit the government unless the UN resolution endorses the autonomy granted to them under a law passed in March to serve as Iraq's interim constitution.
"We are not bluffing here, we are serious -- it's the right of our people," Nechirvan Barzani, head of the Kurdistan Regional Government in northern Iraq, said on Sunday.
Allawi announced yesterday that the Kurds and other Iraqi factions had agreed to disband their militias, in a deal that effectively outlaws fighters loyal to a rebel Shiite cleric.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats