An American soldier confessed yesterday that US guards abused Iraqi detainees at the notorious Abu Ghraib jail in a scandal threatening to undermine US President George W. Bush's bid for a second term.
Specialist Jeremy Sivits, pleading guilty at the first court martial of soldiers accused of abuses which caused outrage when pictures of naked and terrified Iraqi inmates were published around the world, pointed the finger at others.
Chief among them, said Sivits as he was convicted on three of four charges, was Specialist Charles Graner, who, he said, pulled out a camera after stomping on naked prisoners.
Sivits, who faces the lightest charges of seven US soldiers accused so far, also confessed to pushing a prisoner into the now infamous picture of a pile of naked Iraqis.
He made a plea bargain under which he would give evidence at future courts martial and was sentenced to a year in prison.
Three other guards at the prison near Baghdad were arraigned on more serious charges as the abuse scandal and guerrilla violence increased pressure on Washington to hand over real power to Iraqis on June 30.
Graner, Staff Sergeant Ivan Frederick and Sergeant Javal Davis all deferred pleas at quickfire hearings and will appear again on June 21.
About 200 Iraqis protested outside the fortified "Green Zone" headquarters of the US-led occupiers in central Baghdad as the court martial began at a makeshift court inside.
The abuses and guerrilla violence are increasing pressure on Washington to hand power along with formal sovereignty to an interim government due to lead Iraq to elections in January.
Washington says a sudden US departure would risk bloodier anarchy in a country of religious and ethnic divides.
But the scandal has shattered faith in the US across the Arab world and Monday's assassination of Izzedin Salim, head of the US-appointed Iraq Governing Council, prompted loud calls for Washington to hand over real power.
After a car bomb, for which a group headed by al-Qaeda figure Abu Musab al-Zarqawi claimed responsibility, killed Salim at a Green Zone checkpoint, even allies joined the chorus.
Italy and Poland, major contributors to the US-led force in Iraq, urged Washington to give Iraqis power when it hands over sovereignty in six weeks.
"We want to be sure that there will be a clear breakthrough in the Iraqi situation that will truly give sovereignty," Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi told Rete 4 TV as he flew to the US to meet Bush.
Also See Story:
Republicans at odds over abuse
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats