Graphic newspaper pictures that purported to show British soldiers threatening and urinating on an Iraqi prisoner were "categorically not taken in Iraq," the government said Thursday.
The Daily Mirror slapped back with a defiant statement saying officials had not proven the images were faked, and insisted the photos "accurately illustrated the reality about the appalling conduct of some British troops."
Armed Forces Minister Adam Ingram's assertion directly contradicted the Daily Mirror's claim that the pictures showed a hooded detainee being beaten near the southern city of Basra.
He stopped short of declaring the photographs fake, but other lawmakers responding to his comments in the House of Commons said they were. Some called for Piers Morgan, the paper's outspoken editor, to go.
Ingram said Royal Military Police investigators' conclusion that the photos were not taken in Iraq had been "independently corroborated" and warned that those who produced the pictures may have broken military law.
"We had to treat these photos at face value," he said.
"That value has changed. Investigations are now proceeding on this basis: These pictures were categorically not taken in Iraq.
"The truck in which the photos were taken was never in Iraq," he said.
General Mike Jackson, the British army's top officer, said Thursday night that he was "relieved" the photos were apparently fakes. But he said investigations into allegations of abuse of Iraqi prisoners by British forces would continue.
Prime Minister Tony Blair told the House of Commons on Wednesday that the photos "were almost certainly fake."
Morgan said in a statement that Ingram "has still not produced incontrovertible evidence that the pictures are faked."
"But these photographs were just one piece of evidence about one incident," Morgan said.
"There is, of course, a much bigger issue here that we make no apology for highlighting -- which is that the pictures accurately illustrated the reality about the appalling conduct of some British troops," he said.
Ingram said he could not disclose details of the evidence while the investigation continued.
The pictures -- which included images purporting to show a soldier pressing the butt of a gun against a prisoner's groin and pointing a rifle at his head -- were published just after those showing US troops abusing prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad.
They thrust the possibility of similar behavior by British forces onto front pages here. Ingram said investigators were continuing to examine such allegations.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary