National Palace Museum Director Tu Cheng-sheng (
The announcement came after Changhua County Commissioner Wong Chin-chu (
In other Cabinet appointments, Minister without Portfolio Chen Chi-nan (
Tu, 60, was the director of the Institute of History and Philology at Academia Sinica from 1995 to 2000.
According Cabinet Spokesman Lin Chia-lung (
"The premier had originally preferred to have a woman lead the education ministry," Lin said at a press conference yesterday.
In addition to an education background, Lin said, a good education minister must possess administrative experience and a zest to push for reforms.
Wong turned down the offer for what she claimed were her constituents' requests and her obligation to fulfill her 20-month mandate.
Calling the offer "unexpected," Tu said he was willing to take up the position if his contribution could be a plus to the government.
"A nation's competitiveness takes root in education and it takes much time and effort," Tu said. "I think I need to do a lot of homework to prepare for the challenge."
Earlier yesterday, Academia Sinica President Lee Yuan-tseh (
"It's not a good thing to change the education minister so frequently," Lee said.
"It's a difficult job and I believe that whoever takes this position will know how difficult it is," he said.
Lee added that Huang has experience in dealing with education reform.
Chen Chi-nan, 57, was appointed minister without portfolio in 2002 and was put in charge of culture-related bills.
The Yale-educated anthropologist was a research fellow at Academia Sinica's Institute of Ethnology from 1978 to 1985. He also served as the vice chairman of the Council for Cultural Affairs from 1994 to 1997.
The 63-year-old Chen Chuan-shou (
Meanwhile, Lin revealed yesterday that at least six Cabinet officials may stay on their posts. They include Minister of Justice Chen Ding-nan (陳定南), Chairwoman of Council of Labor Affairs Chen Chu (陳菊), Minister of Finance Lin Chuan (林全), Director-General of the Central Personnel Administration Lee Yi-yang (李逸洋), Chairwoman of Overseas Chinese Affairs Commission Chang Fu-mei (張富美) and transportation minister Lin Ling-san (林陵三).
Yu will start inquiring the interests of incumbent Cabinet officials today and plans to complete the inquiry process by the end of the week.
Additional reporting by Jewel Huang
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats