Aid workers rushed to the scene of a devastating train blast yesterday after North Korea made unprecedented pleas for help and blamed carelessness for the disaster, saying downed power lines detonated a cargo of oil and ammonium nitrate, a fertilizer also used in explosives and rocket fuel.
Normally secretive North Korean officials told foreign diplomats and relief organizations that hundreds of people were killed and thousands injured in Thursday's explosion near the Chinese border.
The numbers were expected to climb amid eyewitness accounts of a massive eruption. Chinese villagers 20km away said they were shaken by the force of the blast and saw a black, mushroom-shaped cloud tower over the horizon.
In its first statement on the disaster, North Korea's official news agency said the catastrophic explosion in the railway town of Ryongchon was touched off by "electrical contact caused by carelessness during the shunting of wagons loaded with ammonium nitrate fertilizer."
Separately, the Chinese news agency Xinhua quoted North Korean officials as saying trains loaded with oil and chemicals collided and were ignited by a downed power line.
Few foreign journalists are allowed into North Korea. But in the first report datelined from the site, Xinhua said at least 154 people were confirmed dead, half of them students, and 1,300 were injured.
In an uncharacteristically candid report, the North's news agency KCNA said "the damage is very serious" and expressed appreciation for promises of international humanitarian assistance.
Those offers came in the hours after the North issued a rare appeal for foreign help, inviting aid workers to come see the disaster site in Ryongchon, a city with chemical and metalworking plants and a reported population of 130,000.
US defense officials have said that damage from the blast extended at least 200m from the railway station. Diplomats and aid groups were told by the North that thousands of apartments and houses were destroyed or damaged.
An aid convoy was headed to the site yesterday carrying antibiotics, bandages, painkillers and other supplies -- all of which are scarce in the impoverished country, said John Sparrow, a Red Cross spokesman in Beijing.
"We are fearful that they could be overwhelmed by the large numbers of injured," he said, adding that many people might have been made homeless and would need tents and other shelter.
North Korea restricts the movement of foreigners, and groups that distribute aid to alleviate its food shortages are barred from some areas.
Aid workers have been allowed to visit areas struck by drought or floods in recent years, but the government has never arranged such quick access to the scene of a disaster like the train explosion.
Those visiting the site yesterday were not allowed to carry mobile communications, said Brendan McDonald, head of the UN office for coordination in Pyongyang, the North Korean capital.
North Korean officials told Britain's ambassador that "several hundred people were thought to have died and several thousand were injured," a British Foreign Office spokesman said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats