President Chen Shui-bian (
The government immediately called a national security meeting at the Presidential Office to activate emergency security measures, including the convening of a special Cabinet task force and the upgrading of military and police readiness.
PHOTO: WU HSING-HUA, TAIPEI TIMES
But today's presidential election and referendum will proceed as normal.
"The presidential election and the referendum will be held in accordance with the original schedule on Saturday [today]. We hope that everyone in the country will remain calm and proceed with voting normally to strengthen Taiwan's democracy," Premier Yu Shyi-kun said at the conclusion of the one-hour meeting.
Yu also said that because Chen was not seriously hurt, he would be fully capable of continuing with his presidential duties.
Initial reports of the shooting emerged at 2:15pm, but both the government and the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) at first would not confirm them.
Chen's top aide, Secretary General to the President Chiou I-jen (邱義仁), held a press conference at 3:30pm, saying that the president and vice president had been injured, but that their lives were not in danger and that both were conscious.
Chiou said the shooting occurred at 1:45pm, when Chen and Lu, standing side-by-side in a Jeep in a Tainan City motorcade, were struck by bullets as they passed near the intersection of Wenhsien Road and Chinhua Road.
With the hubbub of thousands of supporters lining the streets and smoke from firecrackers all around, confusion reigned and the presidential security detail was unable to locate the source of the gunfire.
"The vice president first felt sharp pain in her right knee, then the president felt that the right part of his stomach was wet," Chiou said. "He lifted his jacket and discovered blood."
Chiou said that security personnel escorted Chen and Lu to the Chi Mei Medical Center in adjacent Yungkang City, Tainan County.
For some time there was no confirmation that Chen and Lu had been shot, with some media reports suggesting a firecracker might have been responsible.
However, TV pictures showed what appeared to be a bullet hole on the passenger side of the vehicle's windscreen.
"The National Police Administration and the Minister of Justice have convened a special task force to take charge of the investigation.
"As to the matter of who or what organization was responsible for this crime, or how many bullets [might have been involved], or whether there were any witnesses, the government has no concrete answers for the time being," Chiou said.
Asked about protective clothing for the president, Chiou said that neither Chen nor Lu had been wearing bulletproof vests, and stressed that the entire system of presidential security would be reviewed.
Shocked by the shooting, both the DPP and the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT)-People First Party (PFP) alliance announced that they were calling off all campaign activities, including the parties' climactic night rallies, in the interests of public order.
"We ask all supporters to keep calm and not indulge in any irrational behavior," DPP campaign headquarters chief Chang Chun-hsiung (
Chang said that the DPP condemned the violence and hoped that the authorities would find the person or persons responsible.
KMT Chairman Lien Chan (
"We also expect the government to give the public a clear explanation of the shooting as soon as possible," Lien said.
At 9:20pm yesterday, Lien visited Chen at his Taipei residence to convey his sympathies, but was told Chen was asleep and met with Chiou instead.
Supporters from the pan-blue and pan-green camps gathered to sing and pray for the peace of the country. Chen's wife, Wu Shu-chen (
"Thank God my husband is alive. I don't care about whether he wins the election or not, I just want him to be OK," Wu was quoted as saying by Examination Yuan President Yao Chia-wen (
At the press conference following the national security meeting, the premier announced that the government would continue operating as normal since Chen was able to remain in full charge of his administration.
Minister of National Defense Tang Yao-ming (
"We have closely monitored the Taiwan Strait and the southeast coast of China, and so far there is nothing unusual to report," he said.
The National Security Bureau expressed its regret that it had failed to maintain the president's and the vice president's security, saying it would review all security mechanisms.
"Our top priority is to arrest the suspect and we will absolutely shoulder responsibility for inadequate performance," National Security Bureau Deputy Director Wang Chin-wang (
Asked whether any leaders of other countries had expressed concern over the shooting, Minister of Foreign Affairs Eugene Chien (
"American Institute in Taiwan Director Douglas Paal has already contacted us to express his sympathy ... over the incident," Chien said.
Asked how the shooting would affect Taiwan's democracy, Chien said that since the nation was still a young democracy, he hoped the election would proceed peacefully.
"We do not want to be punished by this event at this democratic moment," he said.
After receiving medical treatment by Chi Mei Medical Center doctors and from the president's medical task force, Chen and Lu returned to Taipei by plane at around 7:30pm and retired to their homes for rest.
In a taped address to the nation last night, televised at 11pm, Chen said: "Since the event happened, the emergency national security mechanism has been activated and I believe the nation's security is assured. I believe there is no security problem for the people to worry about. I also thank those medical professionals who treated me. A-bian is OK."
Lu said: "The gunshot has shaken the country. However, we are safe to serve as the leaders of the state it is our duty to defend. I urge everyone to exercise their duty as a citizen and carry out their basic obligations by casting their ballots tomorrow."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats