Warning that Haiti is quickly heading toward chaos, France called for the resignation of embattled President Jean-Bertrand Aristide and for the immediate establishment of a transitional government.
French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin on Wednesday unveiled a five-point initiative that also calls for an international civilian force to restore order and back up a new "national unity" government.
"A race is under way between those who support violence and those who are still hoping for a peaceful solution," de Villepin said in a statement.
PHOTO: AP
De Villepin's statement was highly critical of Aristide, saying France no longer supports his leadership and wants elections to be organized quickly with international help. French diplomatic officials confirmed yesterday that de Villepin, in political parlance, was calling for Aristide's resignation.
"As far as President Aristide is concerned, he bears grave responsibility for the current situation. It's up to him to accept the consequences while respecting the rule of law," de Villepin said. "Everyone sees quite well that a new page must be opened in Haiti's history, while respecting the dignity and integrity of all the protagonists."
The French foreign minister called for a peace plan based on a proposal by the 15-nation Caribbean Community, known as CARICOM, to be accelerated and broadened to include "the immediate establishment of a civilian peacekeeping force."
"This international force would be responsible for guaranteeing the return to public order and supporting the international community's action on the ground," de Villepin said. "It would come to the support of a government of national unity."
French diplomats at the UN said the idea is to assemble an international police force now so that it is ready to move in as soon as a transitional government is formed.
The foreign minister said he spoke several times Tuesday and Wednesday with US Secretary of State Colin Powell, other foreign diplomats and Haitian political officials. He said he was to meet today with representatives of the government and the opposition in Paris.
Rebel forces now control about half of Haiti and have threatened to attack Port-au-Prince, the capital, where militants loyal to Aristide have set up dozens of flaming barricades to prevent a takeover.
On Wednesday, a coalition of political opponents formally rejected an international plan supported by CARICOM and the US for Aristide to remain president with diminished powers and sharing the government with his political rivals.
Aristide had accepted the proposal Saturday but the opposition balked, asking the international community to help ensure his "timely and orderly" departure.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats