Most members of Taiwan's technical mission in Haiti have moved to the country's capital, Port-au-Prince, to avoid the increasingly violent opposition movement, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday.
Apart from the mission leader and several aides, the members and their families have left the mission compound for the Haitian capital, said ministry spokesman Richard Shih (
So far the 46 ROC citizens and staff at Taiwan's embassy in Port-au-Prince have been unharmed, he said.
Shih said the government believed the conflict in Haiti "would not hurt the relationship between Taiwan and Haiti," one of Taiwan's 14 allies in Latin America.
The US, Canada and the Organization of American States are concerned about the situation in Haiti, Shih added.
He said that the fighting has not had much of an impact on most people's lives.
Michel Lu (呂慶龍), former Taiwanese ambassador to Haiti, said widespread poverty has deepened grudges against the Haitian president, Jean Bertrand Aristide.
"It won't be an easy thing to get the opposition movement under control," he said.
But Lu added strife is unlikely to affect the Taiwan-Haiti relationship.
"The US attitude will be crucial to Aristide's survival. The president does not have troops -- that's a big problem for him," Lu said.
Early last month, Aristide told Examination Yuan President Yao Chia-wen (姚嘉文), President Chen Shui-bian's (陳水扁) special envoy for the celebration of Haiti's 200th anniversary of independence from France, that he would continue to support Taiwan's bids to join international organizations.
Aristide told Yao he hoped Chen succeeds in his re-election campaign and that he would like to invite Chen to visit Haiti after the March election.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats