The US on Friday cautiously welcomed the changes Taiwan made to the terms of a referendum that has outraged China and which US President George W. Bush feared would upset the delicate status quo with China.
Conciliatory statements about the referendum from Secretary of State Colin Powell and White House spokesman Scott McClellan came after President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) set ballot issues that were less aggressive than expected.
The US had warned Taiwan that its plans for a March 20 referendum could be seen as a unilateral attempt to change the status quo and move the nation toward independence, which China has threatened to go to war over.
On Thursday Chen unveiled what analysts said was a toned-down version of what they had feared would raise tensions across the Taiwan Strait.
He said his "peace" ballot alongside the election was aimed at preventing China from attacking Taiwan and changing the political status quo.
It will ask voters two questions -- whether Taiwan should acquire more advanced anti-missile weapons if China refuses to withdraw missiles pointed at the nation, and whether Taiwan should negotiate with China to establish a peaceful and stable framework for interaction.
White House spokesman Scott McClellan said the US did not see the referendum as something that would change its status with China.
"I would keep in mind that, as a matter of principle, we are not opposed to referendums, but nor will we endorse any specific referendum," he said.
"We understand, however, that there would be no relationship between the outcome of the proposed referendum and Taiwan's commitment to the status quo," McClellan said.
Powell told Hong Kong-based Phoenix TV that Chen has shown some flexibility.
"I think President Chen has shown a little flexibility in the way those two questions have been worded," he said, referring to the new terms of the referendum.
He repeated that the US "would not be supportive of any effort on the part of either of the parties to undertake a unilateral resolution of the difficulties between them."
"And so we will study the statement very, very carefully, and it seems to suggest a bit of flexibility from his earlier positions," he said.
The two sides split at the end of the Chinese civil war in 1949. Washington switched diplomatic recognition to Beijing from Taipei in 1979 but is the nation's main arms supplier and trade partner.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats