South Korea's parliament overrode a presidential veto yesterday -- the first such vote in nearly half a century -- to open an independent investigation into corruption allegations against former aides of embattled President Roh Moo-hyun.
The move deepens a showdown between the opposition-dominated parliament and a Roh government increasingly besieged by scandal.
Roh outraged lawmakers last week when he vetoed legislation to appoint an independent counsel to look into corruption charges against three former staffers.
Opposition parties boycotted the National Assembly, freezing deliberation on next year's government budget and the country's plan to send up to 3,000 troops to Iraq to help US forces there.
Yesterday's override, the first since 1954, was carried live on national television. It not only clears the way for the probe, but puts parliament back on track to handle those issues and 1,100 other bills pending.
Wheeled in the chambers for the vote was a gaunt Choe Byung-ryol, head of the main opposition Grand National Party. On Day Nine of a hunger strike against Roh's veto, he appeared in a wheelchair yesterday apparently to underline his weakened condition and dedication to the cause.
The nation's three opposition parties hold a combined 219 seats in the 272-member National Assembly, more than the two-thirds majority needed to override a presidential veto. The parliament initially had passed the bill with more than two-thirds support, and it passed again yesterday with a vote of 209 to 54.
"It is regretful to set a negative precedent of interfering with the prosecution's right to investigate for political purposes," Roh's spokesman Yoon Tae-young said.
Roh said he vetoed the legislation because it was premature to appoint an independent counsel while an investigation by state prosecutors continued.
The opposition says it cannot trust state prosecutors. It believes an independent counsel's probe would highlight shady dealings of Roh's government and boost opposition chances in April's parliamentary elections.
Choi Do-sool, Roh's aide for 20 years, was arrested last month and accused of receiving 1.1 billion won (US$956,000) in bribes from SK Group, a scandal-plagued South Korean conglomerate.
Two other former presidential aides, Lee Kwang-jae and Yang Gil-seung, are also accused of accepting bribes and illegal donations for Roh's election campaign last year. They deny any wrongdoing.
On the eve of the vote, Roh suffered another embarrassment when prosecutors arrested a key campaign backer.
Kang Keum-won, a businessman who owns a textile company in South Korea and is a major financial supporter of Roh, was arrested late Wednesday night on charges of tax evasion and misappropriating 5 billion won (US$4.1 million) in company money between 1999 and last year, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors said they are also investigating 950 million won (US$792,000) the businessman lent to Seon Bong-sul, a childhood friend of Roh's, during last year's presidential campaign, a move local media say may have violated political funding laws.
Roh has been grappling with scandals involving his aides and a hostile parliament since he took office in February. Hoping for a fresh popular mandate to rejuvenate his political reform programs, Roh proposed a referendum on his tenure and promised to resign if he fares poorly.
But it is uncertain whether such a referendum can take place, amid disputes over its legality. Opposition leaders have said they would support the vote only after a full investigation into Roh's aides is complete.
Roh's approval ratings are weak, but polls still indicate South Koreans would support him in a referendum for the sake of political stability.
The last time the parliament overrode a veto was in 1954 when then-president Syngman Rhee dismissed a criminal procedure bill allowing the legislature to demand the release of a lawmaker in custody. Lawmakers said it was needed to prevent the government from exploiting judicial power to suppress the opposition.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats