The Cabinet yesterday said it would not be asking Minister of the Interior Yu Cheng-hsien (余政憲) to resign for accepting a massage from unlicensed masseuses.
"At the moment, there's no question of shouldering political responsibility as the matter doesn't involve any political decision made on any political issue," Cabinet Spokesman Lin Chia-lung (
According to Lin, Premier Yu Shyi-kun has ordered the Cabinet's ethics department to investigate the matter, while Yu Cheng-hsien himself has apologized to the public for making a mistake and will assume any responsibility, both legal and administrative.
"The minister telephoned the premier on Wednesday to brief him before holding a press conference to offer his apology," Lin said. "As both the judicial and administrative systems are investigating the matter, I'm calling on the public and the media to be patient and stop politicizing the matter and making it more complicated."
Apparently unsatisfied with the Cabinet's handling of the incident, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus whip Lee Chia-chin (
"As both the president and the premier think the minister is still fit for his job, I think both of them owe the public an explanation," Lee said.
Taipei City Government officials yesterday went to the massage parlor Yu Cheng-hsien visited, but it was closed.
The city, however, issued tickets of NT$10,000 to the two masseuses who worked on Yu Cheng-hsien and another NT$20,000 ticket to the proprietor.
The issue threatened to tarnish the government's image at a sensitive time -- just as Chen prepares for March's presidential election. Yu is one of Chen's confidants.
The investigation began after a magazine alleged that Yu accepted the massages as a bribe from businesspeople.
Yu acknowledged that he received the massage, but he denied that the businesspeople paid for it.
A local newspaper quoted Yu as saying that he comes from the south where people have a custom of taking turns in treating each other to such services.
"Sometimes people treat me, and the next time I treat them," Yu was quoted as saying.
Yu was not suspected of seeking sexual services from the two masseuses, who were described as older women.
But Yu acknowledged that the women were not licensed to perform massages and he apologized for not following regulations. Only visually-impaired people can get licenses to perform massages.
The interior minister has been the target of a number of accusations since taking up the post in February last year.
Most seriously, he was accused of involvement in the Zanadau scandal when he was Kaohsiung County commissioner after a former colleague of his was arrested late last year.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary