Far EasTone Telecommunications Co (遠傳電信), the nation's third largest mobile-phone service operator, announced yesterday it would spend about NT$30 billion in a cash-and-stock swap to take over smaller rival KG Telecommunications Co (和信電訊).
The two companies signed a letter of intent yesterday. Based on the agreement, for every KG Telecom share, Far EasTone will pay NT$6.864 cash and 0.46332 of its shares.
"Through our alliance, we will be able to reach a larger economy of scale and strengthen our market position," Douglas Hsu (徐旭東), chairman of Far EasTone, said at a press conference.
The acquisition will boost Far EasTone's customer base to some 7.7 million users and make it the country's second largest mobile-phone service operator, after Taiwan Cellular Corp's (台灣大哥大) 8.6 million users, but ahead of state-run Chunghwa Telecom Co's (中華電信) 7.67 million users.
"KG Telecom is delighted to be part of a big telecom player ... this enables us to be more involved in this competitive and fast-moving industry," said Leslie Koo (辜成允), chairman of KG Telecom.
The transaction leaves KG Telecom with 800 million Far EasTone shares along with NT$11.9 billion in cash.
KG Telecom, along with its well-known i-mode service, is expected to be absorbed into Far EasTone's operations.
"Basically the new company will still operate as Far EasTone, and KG Telecom will become a part or a brand under the company," Hsu said.
Hsu said it may take at least one month for both parties to discuss future operations and management details.
According to a bank official involved in the merger deal, KG Telecom will control 23 percent of Far EasTone's shares and retain several seats on the board.
Koo will become one of Far EasTone's board members and "play a very important role in the new company," said Ronald Song (宋雲峰), an executive of ABN Amro Holdings NV, which advises KG Telecom.
The proposed merger is expected to improve Far EasTone's competitive edge for the coming high-speed mobile Internet era.
"The move will help us to successfully migrate to third-generation [3G] mobile services," Hsu said.
A telecom analyst said a larger customer base can lower an operator's average cost in setting up 3G networks and the merger is on the right track, as the local mobile-service market is nearly saturated.
"Severe competition has left second-tier players no room to expand or to profit," said Nathan Lin (林宗賢), an analyst at SinoPac Securities Corp (建華證券).
In a bid to get a foothold in the 3G market, it is necessary to have a strong customer base, he said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats