Human error was the probable cause of the Alishan train accident on Saturday, Luo Chien-hsun (羅建勛), chief prosecutor of the Chiayi Prosecutors' Office, said yesterday.
Initial investigations showed that a stopcock which controlled the airbrake connection between the locomotive and the carriages had been inadvertently left closed.
The accident happened on Saturday afternoon when a four-carriage mountain train, packed with nearly 200 people, derailed shortly after leaving Alishan Railway Station. Seventeen people were killed.
PHOTO: YANG KUO-TANG, TAIPEI TIMES
The Council of Agriculture's Taiwan Forestry Bureau, which is responsible for the operation of the railway, said 156 people were injured.
"I have worked as a train driver for more than 20 years. It was the first time I met this kind of situation," the train's driver, Tsai Chen-sun (蔡振森), said yesterday.
"Three minutes after departing from Alishan Station, the train began traveling down a gradient. I felt clearly the train was speeding," Tsai said.
"I tried desperately to stop the train but the brakes failed. Then the train rammed into the mountain side," Tsai said.
Luo said the train brakes failed because the stopcock was closed.
"The two drivers and the conductor did not check the condition of the stopcock carefully before leaving Alishan Station," Luo said. "That's why the train's brakes failed when the train was traveling down the gradient."
Luo excluded the possibility that the train derailed because of overloading or track problems.
The Chiayi District Court refused a prosecutors' request to detain the two train drivers early yesterday morning. Nevertheless, Luo said the train's conductor and drivers would be sent before the court again on a charge of professional negligence.
Meanwhile, Huang Yu-hsing (黃裕星), director of COA's Forestry Bureau, held a press conference to respond to local media reports that the accident took place because the four-carriage train might be overloaded.
Some reports said that each carriage could only carry 25 passengers; therefore the capacity of the train should have only been 100 passengers whereas there were about 190 passengers aboard Saturday afternoon.
Huang said that the capacity of each carriage was in fact 40 seated and 10 standing passengers meaning that each train could carry 200 people.
There were certainly fewer than 200 aboard the train at the time of the accident, Huang said.
COA Chairman Lee Chin-lung (李金龍) apologized yesterday to the victims and their families and promised to increase the amount of compensation available.
"The family of each fatality can claim compensation as high as NT$7.1 million," Lee said. This compensation includes NT$4.1 million from the railway system's travel insurance and NT$2.4 million from the COA.
On top of this the COA will also give each family of a fatality NT$400,000 for a funeral and NT$200,000 condolence money.
The COA distributed yesterday a total of NT$8 million in compensation to families of the dead and the injured.
Moreover, Lee Jen-chyun (李健全), vice chairman of COA, said the operation of the railway will continue to be suspended until the cause of the tragedy is fully understood.
"The COA will also pay for every passenger's medical costs incurred in the accident," Lee said.
Also see story:
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats