The Cabinet was censured in a report by the Control Yuan yesterday for its failure to effectively manage China-bound investment and to respond to the exodus of industry across the Taiwan Strait.
The Cabinet's negligence was said to have led to national economic recession and increasing unemployment.
The Control Yuan also criticized the government for its lack of effective measures to deal with companies which export their capital to China, do not repatriate their profits and leave nothing in Taiwan but debts.
"The Cabinet and its subordinate agencies can't shake off blame for this situation," said Lee Shen-yi (
Lee, along with his colleagues Chao Ron-yaw (
According to the report's findings, by the end of July this year 25,033 applications to invest in China, totalling US$22.1 billion, had been approved by the investment review committee under the Ministry of Economic Affairs.
This amounted to around 40 percent of Taiwan's total foreign investments.
In addition, according to figures from the Ministry of Finance, by the end of March this year, among 975 listed companies in Taiwan, 490 of them had invested in China, with an accumulated outflow of NT$197.7 billion.
Only NT$2.34 billion has been remitted back to Taiwan, and only 27 companies have made such remittances.
This means that only 1.18 percent of the total capital outflow has been repatriated.
"The rate of remittance is too low. And this could be one reason for the hollowing out of industry in Taiwan," said Lin.
Lin added that while regulations concerning investments are clear and punishments specified, prosecutions for breaking the regulations and investing illegally were seldom launched.
"The Cabinet apparently has not carried out its policies and has no effective measures to deal with the matter," Chao said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats