After nearly a year of investigation, prosecutors yesterday handed down indictments against nine former naval officers over the high-profile scandals surrounding the purchases of French Lafayette frigates and German-made minesweeper components.
Of the nine men indicted, six were for the Lafayette case and three were for the minesweeper components case.
Prosecutors said the navy had inflated the prices of the six Lafayette frigates and illegally benefited the French manufacturer Thomson-CSF the sum of 2.4 billion francs, or NT$10.8 billion.
Of the nine indicted former naval officers, the highest-ranking was the former naval commander-in-chief, Admiral Yeh Chang-tung (
Former vice admiral Lei Hsueh-ming (雷學明) was indicted with the prosecutors' recommendation to the court that he be sentenced to 14 years -- the harshest request in these two cases.
The two cases represent part of a complicated series of arms purchase mysteries believed to be linked to the 1993 murder of navy captain Yin Ching-feng (
But concerning the Lafayette case, the prosecutors in the indictment did not present evidence showing the accused had taken any kickbacks, triggering questions that the indictments were made improperly.
"[Prosecutors] should let the evidence speak for itself. The prosecutors don't have any evidence that I can see," Lei Hsueh-ming said yesterday, adding that he was amazed by the actions taken.
"The prosecutors, who have been investigating the flow of money [in the case] never found any improper monetary transactions between these [indicted] people," said Joanna Lei (
State Public Prosecutor General Lu Jen-fa (盧仁發), however, said the indicted naval officers had provided the French side excess profits. "As for whether there were kickbacks and commissions, we are still investigating," Lu said.
But former captain Kang Shih-chun (康世淳) indicted in the Lafayette scandal called the indictment "entirely political" in nature.
"[The prosecutors] are just doing whatever they can to appease the president in the wake of his demand that the `investigation should be carried out even if it shakes the nation to its very foundation,'" Kang said.
Joanna Lei also said that rumors were circulating among the special investigation force that the indictments were hastily handed down because the prosecutors had been ordered to close the case within a year.
Under direct order from President Chen Shui-bian (
Taiwan changed its original plan of buying frigates from South Korea to sourcing them from France in 1989.
According to the prosecutors, Lei Hsuen-ming and other officials in charge produced false performance data on Lafayette frigates and inflated the price, knowing that the frigates did not meet requirements and disregarding orders by their superiors to knock down the price.
As for the minesweeper case, the indictment said that former navy commander Yuan Yu-fan (袁友范) had embezzled more than NT$10 million in interest that the fund for the purchase had accrued. It said Yen Chang-tung had learned of Yuan's offense but failed to take the proper action of sending him to military prosecutors.
Lu went on to say that the investigation into the murder of captain Yin will also continue.
Yin, who until his suspicious death was in charge of navy procurements, was allegedly about to blow the whistle on the corruption surrounding the navy purchases when he was killed.
The Lafayette scandal also rocked the political establishment in France, where former foreign minister Roland Dumas was forced to resign as head of the Constitutional Council -- France's top legal authority -- last year.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats