Taiwan High Court prosecutors yesterday summoned for questioning the former principal of the private Jin Wen Institute of Technology (
A financial crisis at the Jin Wen Group (
The prosecutors said yesterday that they suspect Chang had stolen money from the institute by having his construction companies contract for the institute's construction projects at inflated prices.
They alleged that, in doing so, Chang misappropriated some NT$200 million in students' school fees and Ministry of Education subsidies.
Taiwan High Court and Taipei District Court prosecutors yesterday questioned Chang's son-in-law, Lin Tsung-sung (
Prosecutors and Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau investigators yesterday morning went to the technology institute to gather material which they think may be relevant to the case.
Chang is also reported to have borrowed money from institute staff amounting to hundreds of millions of NT dollars. He is reported to have experienced major financial difficulties because of an investment failure in Vietnam.
Chang's Jin Wen group operates a diverse array of businesses, including construction companies, industrial enterprises, schools and investment firms.
The prosecutors said they might issue an order for Chang's arrest if he does not come back to Taiwan to face investigation. They also banned several people suspected of involvement in the case from leaving the country.
Meanwhile, the Central News Agency reported yesterday that the Taipei City Bureau of Education might take over the board of the Jin Wen Institute of Technology.
The education bureau said it had in an audit of the school's properties late last year found tens of thousands of NT dollars belonging to the school missing.
CNA also cited the education bureau as saying that the institute had not carried out a valid re-election of board members after Chang's resignation, because the board meeting at which it was held did not constitute a quorum.
The education bureau said it would hold a meeting in a week's time to decide whether to take over the institute.
CNA said, however, that one board member had said the board re-election was valid and that the education bureau should not take over the board.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods