In another new twist to the ongoing saga of financial irregularities regarding bank accounts held by family members and relatives of independent presidential candidate James Soong (宋楚瑜), Minister of Finance Paul Chiu (邱正雄) declined to reveal the results of his ministry's investigations into Soong's finances, saying that the findings had to remain confidential while they were forwarded to the Control Yuan on Friday.
Chiu's intention to submit his finding to the Control Yuan follows a request to the ministry by prosecutors for information on possible irregularities.
Ironically the prosecutors request for information has resulted in less information becoming available to the public than might otherwise have been since as Chiu told the legislature's Finance Committee last week an article in taxation laws prohibits the ministry from releasing any information on its investigations into possible tax evasion cases.
PHOTO: HAKU HUANG, LIBERTY TIMES
As a result of this Chiu told the Finance Committee nothing new.
This restriction, however, does not, however, apply to releasing information to the Control Yuan, the supreme watchdog for all government agencies, to an investigative team of which, Chiu said, his ministry will report all it has discovered.
This might still frustrate the public's desire to know more about the scandal surrounding the presidential candidate since the Control Yuan is bound by the same rules of secrecy.
It has, however, proved in the past to be less than leak-proof.
Li Shen-yi (
Chiu also said that the Taipei Prosecutors' Office had made a telephone call to the ministry, requesting it to provide information related to Soong's case. The ministry will turn over its investigation results in one or two days, Chiu said.
Chou Chih-jung (
The prosecutors' office will soon begin questioning people involved in the case, prosecutors said.
However, leaks from the ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau (MJIB,
The MJIB is believed to have found that Chen Pi-yun (
Wang Kuang-yu (
"Prevention and suppression of money laundering is a major responsibility of the bureau's anti-money laundering center, which has taken the initiative to probe into the case," Wang said.
However, Wang declined to release information on when, to whom, and how much money Chen transferred to the US, on grounds that secrecy had to be kept during the investigation, as demanded by related laws and regulations.
MJIB sources also said that an official close to Soong had dispatched money to more than 30 provincial assembly deputies in 1994 during assembly elections and in 1995 during assembly speaker elections. The official, who is now holding a minister's portfolio, sent the money through one of Soong's relatives' bank accounts, the sources said.
Transport minister Lin Feng-cheng (
"I have forgotten," he said, "it was too long ago."
"It should be easy to find out where the money was from and going to after investigation," Lin said.
Soong has yet to respond to the further accusations made against him in the past week. He says he is waiting for New Party legislator Hsieh Chi-ta (
Soong has since last week entrusted Hsieh to probe into the case as "independent investigator."
But Hsieh and Soong's campaign officials have criticized the MJIB for spreading "unfounded rumors" as well as its failure to keep information relating to a case under investigation secret.
Chin Heng-wei (
"While procedural justice [due process] may not be observed in this case, it is only in a dog fight in the KMT of this scale that the unlawful dealings within the party be exposed," Chin said.
At a press conference on Dec. 9, Yang revealed that Soong's family were the beneficiaries of at least NT$140 million in mysterious bank deposits from unknown sources while Soong was the secretary-general of the KMT in the early 1990s. Since then, the amounts involved in the scandal have snowballed.
According to a high level official at the finance ministry, the money now acknowledged by the Soong camp itself is NT$480 million, NT$240 million in Bank of Taiwan checks; NT$60 million in Chen's account; and US$60 million (around NT$180 million) transferred to the US.
"That does not include what could have been spent already, such as the money possibly given to provincial assembly deputies," the official said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats