Just four days after the Taipei City government granted the China Dance Club studio status as a municipal heritage site, the building that housed the studio was gutted by fire in the early hours of yesterday morning -- reducing Taiwan's first modern dance studio, along with its related historic records -- to ashes.
And although police have refused to speculate yet on possible causes of the blaze, the owners of the building said they suspected it was not an accident.
A security camera that was mounted in an alley nearby pictured two men, suspected of being arsonists, entering the area just before the fire broke out. The first man appeared in the alley around 1:44am, followed by a second, carrying a yellow bag. The fire broke out around 1:54am, soon after the men left the site. Police urged the two men to contact them as soon as possible.
PHOTO: CHIANG YING-YING, TAIPEI TIMES
Fire department officials said the blaze broke out at a vacant home next to the site, which included the Last Waltz Cafe as well as the studio itself.
Chen Chung-yueh (
Members of the studio returned to the site yesterday morning to sift through the ruins looking for now-scorched photos and historic records dating back to the 1940's.
David Maurice, the husband of the studio's current operator, Grace Hsiao (蕭靜文), said although some historic records of the studio's founder, Tsai Jui-yueh (蔡瑞月), had been kept elsewhere, many of them were stored inside the studio.
"Most of them are here because it was intended to be a library, a memorial [for Tsai]," Maurice said.
Tsai's founding of the club in 1953 has been recognized as being the forerunner of modern dance in Taiwan, and caught the attention of the city's heritage examination committee members last August, who then decided to redefine the studio as a municipal heritage site.
The actual designation was passed by the committee just last Tuesday. Hsiao said yesterday's fire not only destroyed the studio site, but has also left Tsai, now 78, frightened for her safety.
Tsai returned to Taiwan only last Wednesday, the second time she has returned to the island after her immigration to Australia in 1983.
"After she heard about the fire she asked us this morning whether she would be safe [after the fire.] We told her a security guard was outside her door, and we would not allow anybody to enter the house. But she was imprisoned [back in 1949] for political reasons, not her art," Hsiao said.
"It was only several days after the studio was defined as a municipal heritage site did the fire break out. I really don't know how to explain it to her. My personal feeling is that the fire is related to political factors," she said.
The status of the studio site had been a matter of controversy before it was ruled as a heritage site. For more than 20 years those running the studio had been considered to be illegal squatters on publicly owned land, as the government lease had been canceled in the 1970s. It was only after plans were made to raze the site for new buildings that media reports and calls by artists helped sway officials to save it.
But Hugh Lin (林正修), director of the city's civil affairs bureau, said any further discussion as to the cause of the fire is not yet proper.
"The greatest enemy to historic heritage sites is fire, and I prefer not to make any speculation."
Lin also reiterated the government's plan to rebuild and conserve the heritage site.
"We really feel sorry for what happened, and would like to express our apology to Tsai. But I'd also like to express our determination to push for the plan [to rebuild]," he said.
Lin added that he expected that the reconstruction would be completed in two years.
Shiue Chyn (
"As long as we can find related records, rebuilding the site should not be a problem," he said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats