VIEW THIS PAGE Edison Chen (陳冠希) has been threatened with a letter containing a bullet, a Hong Kong television station reported yesterday.
For anyone who has been hiding under a rock or living in a cave for the past year, the Edison Chen photo scandal broke in January 2008 when nude snapshots of the Chinese-Canadian actor in flagrante delicto with eight female starlets — including Gillian Chung (鍾欣桐), Cecilia Cheung (張柏芝) and Bobo Chen (陳文媛) — were stolen off of his laptop and subsequently plastered all over gossip rags and entertainment blogs.
Hong Kong’s Cable TV said an anonymous English-language letter warned Chen not to appear at any promotional events and threatened him with harm if he did. The station said it received the letter on Wednesday.
Hong Kong’s entertainment industry has long been tainted by its connections with organized crime, and last year gangsters were allegedly offering HK$500,000 for one of Chen’s hands.
The TV report yesterday did not say if the letter, which was mailed with a gold-colored bullet, explicitly linked the threat with the sex photo scandal, and did not specify the type of harm Chen could suffer if he ignored it.
The envelope that carried the letter had US postage stamps stuck onto it and the return address was in Pennsylvania, Cable TV said.
Chen and the women featured in his homemade porno stash have only recently started to resurface. The 28-year-old testified two weeks ago against a computer technician accused of stealing the photos from his laptop, and he attended a promotional event at a Singapore hamburger restaurant later that week. Gillian Chung and Cecilia Cheung, who are also 28, have discussed the scandal in television interviews in recent weeks.
In a tearful interview with iCable earlier this month, Cheung raged at Chen for not personally apologizing to her after the photos were leaked, even as he made a somber public mea culpa to his fans. Chen stated last month in a court hearing in Vancouver that he had been determined to protect the women’s privacy, but Cheung said he hadn’t even bothered to call her manager back at the height of the scandal.
Not to be outdone, Chung also gave a tearful interview, which was aired shortly after Cheung’s. The blubbering Chung said she blamed herself for her “stupidity” and lamented the very public loss of her dignity. Chung also revealed that she had contemplated suicide after the photos were leaked. The scandal blew apart the starlet’s squeaky-clean image as one-half of the Cantopop duo Twins.
On Tuesday, Chung appeared at a press conference to promote a jeans brand, her first endorsement deal since Chen’s privates became public. The Canto-pop star wore a purple T-shirt that said “tough” and unveiled a billboard ad that showed her with a serious expression, surrounded by models wearing monster masks.
“This was a very long year. It was very hard to get through. I was lucky to have many people who supported me,” she said.
Also bemoaning the loss of his dignity this week was Taiwanese actor Jonathan Chen (陳俊生), who was photographed fighting with his 19-year-old girlfriend in Taipei. Highlights included Chen screaming, “That is not a real apology! I’m not going to accept that! I want a real apology!” and his girlfriend accidentally smacking him in the nose when she reached out to placate him before collapsing to the ground in tears.
Reports of the brouhaha also delighted in reminding the public that seven years ago Chen was caught at the Core Pacific City Mall (京華城) dressed as a “big-boobed hottie.” At the time, Chen said his gender-bending get-up was a publicity stunt for a film, but the incident led to ceaseless speculation about his sexual orientation. In the last few years, Chen has reinvented himself as a businessman after developing a digital learning system that is supposed to improve users’ memories. His screaming match with his teenage lover, however, is one more incident he probably wants the entire world to forget. When a reporter from the Liberty Times (自由時報) called for comment, Chen said in exasperation, “Let’s stop talking about this, okay?”
Fellow Taiwanese actor Jamie Weng (翁家明) also had an unforgettable but regrettable week after news broke that he’d been caught diddling a flight attendant, which threw his marriage with actress Grace Yu (俞小凡) into a crisis. The matter wasn’t helped when reports surfaced that Weng had also been spotted escorting their daughter’s married kindergarten teacher to a hotel for some alleged hanky-panky.
The actor issued a statement saying that he’d flown to Shanghai, where Yu is shooting a movie, to beg his wife for her forgiveness. In an interview afterwards, Yu said she had faith in her husband’s sincerity, but hadn’t forgiven him yet and planned to separate from Weng for the time being. This
was apparently news to her
husband, who the Liberty Times said heard about Yu’s decision from reporters. VIEW THIS PAGE
That US assistance was a model for Taiwan’s spectacular development success was early recognized by policymakers and analysts. In a report to the US Congress for the fiscal year 1962, former President John F. Kennedy noted Taiwan’s “rapid economic growth,” was “producing a substantial net gain in living.” Kennedy had a stake in Taiwan’s achievements and the US’ official development assistance (ODA) in general: In September 1961, his entreaty to make the 1960s a “decade of development,” and an accompanying proposal for dedicated legislation to this end, had been formalized by congressional passage of the Foreign Assistance Act. Two
March 31 to April 6 On May 13, 1950, National Taiwan University Hospital otolaryngologist Su You-peng (蘇友鵬) was summoned to the director’s office. He thought someone had complained about him practicing the violin at night, but when he entered the room, he knew something was terribly wrong. He saw several burly men who appeared to be government secret agents, and three other resident doctors: internist Hsu Chiang (許強), dermatologist Hu Pao-chen (胡寶珍) and ophthalmologist Hu Hsin-lin (胡鑫麟). They were handcuffed, herded onto two jeeps and taken to the Secrecy Bureau (保密局) for questioning. Su was still in his doctor’s robes at
Last week the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said that the budget cuts voted for by the China-aligned parties in the legislature, are intended to force the DPP to hike electricity rates. The public would then blame it for the rate hike. It’s fairly clear that the first part of that is correct. Slashing the budget of state-run Taiwan Power Co (Taipower, 台電) is a move intended to cause discontent with the DPP when electricity rates go up. Taipower’s debt, NT$422.9 billion (US$12.78 billion), is one of the numerous permanent crises created by the nation’s construction-industrial state and the developmentalist mentality it
Experts say that the devastating earthquake in Myanmar on Friday was likely the strongest to hit the country in decades, with disaster modeling suggesting thousands could be dead. Automatic assessments from the US Geological Survey (USGS) said the shallow 7.7-magnitude quake northwest of the central Myanmar city of Sagaing triggered a red alert for shaking-related fatalities and economic losses. “High casualties and extensive damage are probable and the disaster is likely widespread,” it said, locating the epicentre near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay, home to more than a million people. Myanmar’s ruling junta said on Saturday morning that the number killed had