Mortgage financier Freddie Mac took a step toward issuing common and preferred stocks to help bolster its balance sheet on Friday when the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) accepted its registration statement filed earlier in the day.
Freddie has committed to raising at least US$5.5 billion in capital amid a turbulent time for it and fellow mortgage giant Fannie Mae.
The pair have been hit hard over the past year by mounting losses tied to the downturn in the mortgage market and the government was forced to step in over the weekend to reassure Wall Street of the companies’ solvency.
Washington-based Fannie Mae raised US$7.4 billion earlier this year in a bid to strengthen its balance sheet.
McLean, Virginia-based Freddie Mac had indicated plans to raise US$5.5 billion, but has been waiting to initiate the offerings because its stock is not yet registered with the SEC.
“We have committed to [the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight] to raise $5.5 billion of new core capital through one or more offerings, which will include both common and preferred securities,” Freddie said in a statement.
“The timing, amount and mix of securities to be offered will depend on a variety of factors, including prevailing market conditions, and is subject to approval by our board of directors,” it said.
Freddie Mac reported a first-quarter loss in May of US$151 million and said it set aside US$1.2 billion for losses as a result of rising delinquency rates and falling home prices. Moody’s Investors Service has downgraded Freddie’s financial strength rating, projecting up to US$7.5 billion in losses from soured mortgages over the next two years.
Friday’s filing paves the way for the issuance of new stock.
The filing does not guarantee Freddie will issue shares, but Freddie indicated in the filing that was one option it is considering to help improve capital ratios.
Apart from issuing new stock, Freddie said it was considering limiting growth in its portfolio, or reducing the size of the portfolio and lowering its quarterly dividend.
Fannie and Freddie hold or back US$5.3 trillion of mortgage debt, about half the outstanding mortgages in the US.
Analysts widely agree that the sustainability of Freddie and Fannie is vital to helping prevent the already battered real estate market from getting worse.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort