Fifty days into its term, a disturbing trend has emerged in the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government’s strategy to maintain public support. The Cabinet, in its desire to shift the focus of frustration, has repeatedly sought to turn the media into its personal scapegoat.
As part of efforts to reverse the slide in domestic share prices, a task force headed by Vice Premier Chiu Cheng-hsiung (邱正雄) announced a series of measures on June 28, one of which entailed encouraging insurance companies to invest around NT$8 trillion (US$263 billion) in the stock market. The Cabinet also seeks to interest the companies in injecting capital into the public sector to boost domestic demand.
But after the TAIEX dropped again on the next business day, June 30, Financial Supervisory Commission head Gordon Chen (陳樹) responded to reporters’ questions on the stock market’s performance by accusing the media of “misunderstanding” the government’s pledge to seek investment from insurance companies and “writing incorrect headlines about the NT$8 trillion” that “misled the public.”
When the Suhua Freeway controversy re-erupted on Sunday, the Cabinet again accused the media of misinforming the public. Speaking in Hualien, Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) said the government would proceed with the Suhua Freeway project by first completing the least controversial stretch. Liu’s announcement came as a shock to the project’s opponents in light of the Environmental Protection Administration’s most recent ruling, and environmental groups lambasted President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) for breaking his campaign promise to gauge public opinion before making contentious decisions.
Cabinet Spokeswoman Vanessa Shih (史亞平) immediately responded to the outcry by accusing the media of misrepresenting the premier’s remarks and confusing the Suhua Freeway with the Suhua Highway.
Prior to Ma’s inauguration on May 20, Yiin Chii-ming (尹啟銘), speaking as the minister-designate of economic affairs, said the nation’s stock index could rise as high as 20,000 points under the new government. With the TAIEX plummeting in the past weeks, those words have, not surprisingly, returned to haunt Yiin.
The minister’s first line of defense was to express regret yesterday that his remarks before the inauguration had been “distorted” by the media.
The media would seem to be a convenient excuse — and one that avoids addressing the legitimate concerns of the public.
The government should be more careful about accusing the media of lying or misunderstanding facts when the evidence speaks for itself. In the case of Chen, he might need a reminder that the Cabinet released a press statement detailing the task force’s plans to increase investment in the stock market.
As for the furor over the Suhua Freeway, Shih is casting doubt on the accuracy of not just one journalist, but every reporter who heard the premier say loudly and clearly that the Cabinet had decided “to begin constructing part of the Suhua Freeway this year ... to provide residents of eastern Taiwan with a safe way home.”
Media spin is no stranger in Taiwan and is a problem that should be highlighted to promote improvement in public discourse. At the same time, the public should not swallow shameless blame-shifting by the government without questioning the legitimacy of the Cabinet’s accusations.
Concerns that the US might abandon Taiwan are often overstated. While US President Donald Trump’s handling of Ukraine raised unease in Taiwan, it is crucial to recognize that Taiwan is not Ukraine. Under Trump, the US views Ukraine largely as a European problem, whereas the Indo-Pacific region remains its primary geopolitical focus. Taipei holds immense strategic value for Washington and is unlikely to be treated as a bargaining chip in US-China relations. Trump’s vision of “making America great again” would be directly undermined by any move to abandon Taiwan. Despite the rhetoric of “America First,” the Trump administration understands the necessity of
US President Donald Trump’s challenge to domestic American economic-political priorities, and abroad to the global balance of power, are not a threat to the security of Taiwan. Trump’s success can go far to contain the real threat — the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) surge to hegemony — while offering expanded defensive opportunities for Taiwan. In a stunning affirmation of the CCP policy of “forceful reunification,” an obscene euphemism for the invasion of Taiwan and the destruction of its democracy, on March 13, 2024, the People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) used Chinese social media platforms to show the first-time linkage of three new
If you had a vision of the future where China did not dominate the global car industry, you can kiss those dreams goodbye. That is because US President Donald Trump’s promised 25 percent tariff on auto imports takes an ax to the only bits of the emerging electric vehicle (EV) supply chain that are not already dominated by Beijing. The biggest losers when the levies take effect this week would be Japan and South Korea. They account for one-third of the cars imported into the US, and as much as two-thirds of those imported from outside North America. (Mexico and Canada, while
The military is conducting its annual Han Kuang exercises in phases. The minister of national defense recently said that this year’s scenarios would simulate defending the nation against possible actions the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) might take in an invasion of Taiwan, making the threat of a speculated Chinese invasion in 2027 a heated agenda item again. That year, also referred to as the “Davidson window,” is named after then-US Indo-Pacific Command Admiral Philip Davidson, who in 2021 warned that Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had instructed the PLA to be ready to invade Taiwan by 2027. Xi in 2017