Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) yesterday said the flooding caused by Typhoon Fanapi could deal a blow to Kaohsiung Mayor Chen Chu’s (陳菊) re-election bid in November.
Approached for comment at the legislature, Wang said “it is possible” the flooding will affect the result of November’s special municipality elections.
Wang, who doubles as chief supervisor for Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Kaohsiung mayoral candidate Huang Chao-shun’s (黃昭順) campaign, said the flooding could also become an important agenda issue in the campaign.
PHOTO: CNA
On Friday, Chen outperformed Huang by 31 percentage points in an approval rating poll released by the Chinese-language China Times.
Wang’s comment came in response to speculation that the severe flooding in northern Kaohsiung could prove damaging to Chen’s re-election campaign.
However, former premier Frank Hsieh (謝長廷), currently working as a Democratic Progressive Party election strategist, said he did not believe the city government’s response would have an impact on the election.
PHOTO: CNA
Residents living in the city’s Zuoying (左營), Nanzih (楠梓), Sanmin (楠梓) and Gushan (鼓山) districts were overwhelmed by knee-deep floodwaters caused by hours of torrential rain on Sunday.
The downpour caused the city’s most serious flooding in 50 years, bringing 1,000mm of rainfall to Kaohsiung’s plains and 1,200mm to the city’s mountainous areas.
The water in the city’s Love River and Nanzih’s Houjin River rose quickly and sharply, flooding the nearby areas and trapping residents in their houses.
PHOTO: AFP
The neighborhood of Taiwan High Speed Rail’s Zuoying Station was also seriously flooded.
Chen suspended all campaign activities yesterday and led city government officials to inspect districts seriously affected by the flooding, saying campaigning would not resume until cleanup efforts were completed.
“Our primary focus is dealing with the after-effects of the typhoon,” Chen’s campaign spokesperson, Chao Tien-lin (趙天麟), said in a short statement. “In the meantime, all election events will be postponed and our efforts will be on post-typhoon reconstruction.”
Chao also said supporters in local chapters of Chen’s campaign would be asked to volunteer with reconstruction and an original opening date for the mayor’s campaign headquarters over the weekend would be postponed indefinitely.
During her inspection trip to Nanzih and Sanmin districts, Chen was bombarded with complaints from victims of the flooding trapped on the second floor of their houses.
She apologized and blamed the flooding on the rainfall, saying the downpour exceeded the capacity of the city’s sewer and flood prevention system and caused flooding in the city’s low-lying areas.
She said it was necessary to review the systems’ design to prepare for extreme weather.
Meanwhile, Huang cut short a visit to Singapore and returned to Kaohsiung yesterday afternoon to help with the typhoon response.
Her campaign headquarters announced they would halt campaign activities and asked volunteers to help deliver food and supplies to flooded areas.
While members of Huang’s campaign team said they had heard criticism from local borough chiefs about the lack of preparation from the city government, they declined to say whether it would have an impact on the upcoming elections.
KMT spokesperson Chen Shu-jung (陳淑容) said Huang’s decision to return home showed her “strong feelings” for the Greater Kaohsiung area and that her party would fully cooperate with the relief effort and help residents return to their normal life.
Huang had planned to accompany KMT Secretary-General King Pu-tsung (金溥聰) from Sunday through today on the Singapore leg of his trip. King embarked on a one-week visit to Japan and Singapore on Tuesday last week to promote party diplomacy.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY KO SHU-LING
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as