The controversy over US beef imports showed no sign of abating yesterday after legislators across the political spectrum stood together in demanding that the government re-open negotiations with the US.
Department of Health Minister Yaung Chih-liang (楊志良) faced tough questions over the government’s negotiations with the US and accusations that the process had not been transparent.
Taiwan agreed to lift a ban on US bone-in beef from cattle younger than 30 months in a protocol it signed in Washington last month.
PHOTO: LIU JUNG, TAIPEI TIMES
Legislators said they had not been aware of either the negotiations or what was discussed.
“As the whole process has not been transparent, I don’t think the public can accept the risks,” Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Chen Ying (陳瑩) said. “Furthermore, as even the government does not fully know the risks involved, how can we [lift the ban on these beef products]?”
Claiming that allowing US bone-in beef was “just too risky,” legislators urged the government to throw out the results of the negotiations, which they called a “humiliation” and said had “forfeited the nation’s sovereignty.”
The legislators called for a new round of talks.
President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said last week that re-opening the negotiations after they had already been concluded would damage Taiwan’s credibility.
Despite this, several Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers called for new negotiations.
“There is an absolute need to re-open the negotiations,” KMT Legislator Cheng Ru-fen (鄭汝芬) said.
In reference to the risks associated with US beef, she said: “Instead of the government saying that consumers should be careful, it is the government that should be more careful.”
The health department has said it has the necessary facilities and expertise to ensure that allowing in US bone-in beef would carry minimal risks.
As a result, officials said the risk of consumers contracting Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease was around “one in 10 billion.”
KMT Legislator Wu Chin-chih (吳清池) disagreed and asked to see how the government had reached that figure.
He later said that if the government could not back up those figures, he would fight its beef policy in the legislature.
DPP Legislator Huang Sue-ying (黃淑英) criticized the health department for making up its mind on the beef policy before hearing the opinions of lawmakers or the public.
“It is clear that the DOH has already made up its mind to release this protocol with or without the approval of this committee,” she said.
In response, Yaung said that the health department respected the authority of the legislature.
Meanwhile, the DPP said yesterday that a referendum on the issue must be held to force the government realize that the public disapproves of its decision.
The party was throwing its weight behind a petition for a referendum initiated by various civic organizations.
The Consumers’ Foundation and several other groups are seeking at least 90,000 signatures to launch a referendum application that would ask the public whether it wants the government renegotiate its agreement with the US.
While the government and the US have repeatedly said that the meat is safe, local DPP and KMT politicians have also voiced opposition to the policy, citing potential health threats.
DPP city council members in Kaohsiung and Hsinchu said they would lead a street demonstration if the government refuses to heed the public’s calls.
DPP Spokesman Tsai Chi-chang (蔡其昌) quoted a press release from the Nebraska state government that stated a protocol had been signed and a public review in Taiwan is pending.
“Following that review, the agreement is set to go into effect on Nov. 2. It will allow for the import of bone-in beef from cattle younger than 30 months of age. Currently Taiwan only accepts beef in that age group that is boneless. After 180 days, government officials will review the 30 month age limit and consider full trade access for US beef,” the statement said.
Tsai said that the press release from the government showed there were still many questions that needed to be answered on the beef policy.
The review in six months means US beef exports to Taiwan are not a done deal as the government has said, Tsai said.
The protocol is available on the health department’s Web site in English. So far, the government has not released a Chinese translation of the agreement for public view.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as