Former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) may not appear in court today to hear judges announce their verdict in his corruption trials, his secretary said yesterday.
The Taipei District Court is set to announce its verdict today for the former president and 13 codefendants in cases related to the presidential state affairs fund, a land deal in Taoyuan County’s Longtan Township (龍潭), a land deal related to the Nangang Exhibition Hall, money laundering, influence peddling and profiteering.
The crimes of which Chen is accused were allegedly committed during his two presidential terms from 2000 to last year. Chen faces a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, but can appeal the verdicts.
Chiang Chih-ming (江志銘), secretary of Chen’s office, was told by the former president yesterday to relay a message to his court-appointed attorney Tseng Te-rong (曾德榮) that Chen would not be appearing in court to hear the verdict delivered.
Chen asked Tseng to prepare the necessary papers to be presented to the district court saying that he would not attend, Chiang said. Chen also told Tseng that he planned to hire attorneys to file an appeal against the district court’s ruling, which is widely expected to find against Chen and his co-defendants.
Chen is expected to rehire are Cheng Wen-lung (鄭文龍), Shih Yi-lin (石宜琳) and Hung Kwei-san (洪貴參), who represented him before he dismissed them in May. Chen dismissed his lawyers, retracted all requests to call witnesses and refused to answer questions in court in protest against what he called an “unfair justice system.”
The dismissals followed the district court’s decision to extend Chen’s detention because it said he might collude with witnesses or flee the country.
Chiang told reporters that Chen said he was emotionally ready for the verdict and felt very “calm,” because “he feels free in his heart.”
Because Chen may not appear in court tomorrow, hundreds of Chen’s supporters who had planned to gather outside the courtroom to protest may decide to change their plans, Chiang said.
In related news, the district court may hold another hearing to decide whether to extend Chen’s detention as the current term is set to expire.
Should the court find Chen guilty and papers filed by Chen’s attorneys to appeal the ruling are processed by the High Court before the detention expires on Sept. 25, then the decision whether to extend Chen’s detention would be decided by the judges in charge of Chen’s case at the High Court.
If, however, the papers do not reach the High Court before then, current presiding judge Tsai Shou-hsun (蔡守訓) of the Taipei District Court would hold another detention hearing.
As Chen and his lawyers do not expect a favorable decision from Tsai, who has repeatedly ruled that Chen should remain in detention, it is expected that Chen’s lawyers would file the appeal papers as soon as possible.
Chen has been incarcerated since Dec. 30. He has denied the charges and says his detention and trial amount to political persecution by the administration of President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT).
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as