Exiled Uighur leader Rebiya Kadeer said yesterday that nearly 10,000 people “disappeared in one night” during ethnic unrest in the Chinese city of Urumqi early this month.
“Close to 10,000 people in Urumqi disappeared in one night. Where did those people go?” she said in Japan, speaking in her native language through a translator. “If they died, where did they go?”
Kadeer, the 62-year-old US-based head of the World Uighur Congress, charged that “the Chinese government is trying to destroy the Uighur people. I want to tell the international community about our situation.”
PHOTO: EPA
Citing local sources she had been in contact with, Kadeer said during the unrest from July 5, Chinese police randomly shot people after dark when the electricity went out, and that the next morning people awoke to find many Uighur men had disappeared.
Beijing accuses the mother of 11 and grandmother of being a “criminal” who instigated the unrest pitting Uighurs against Han Chinese in Xinjiang, which the government says left 197 people dead.
“I was not involved in the incident,” she told the press conference. “If China says I did it, I want them to show evidence. If the international community judges it as evidence, I would acknowledge that.”
Kadeer instead charged that “the responsibility lies with the authorities who changed what was a peaceful demonstration into a violent riot.”
“For Uighurs, taking part in demonstrations is like committing suicide,” she said.
The Chinese foreign ministry on Monday expressed its “strong dissatisfaction” with Japan for allowing entry to Kadeer, who spent around six years in a Chinese prison before being released under US pressure in 2005.
Japan’s top government spokesman, Takeo Kawamura, said on Tuesday that Kadeer’s visit “was organized by civil groups, not an event by the government.”
“We don’t consider that her visit to Japan itself will negatively impact the Japan-China relationship,” Kawamura told a regular press briefing.
Beijing has also campaigned for other countries to deny Kadeer a platform.
In Washington, Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Wang Guangya (王光亞) said on Tuesday that Beijing had asked Washington to “restrain and prevent” anyone from using its soil to conduct “separatist activities against China.”
Kadeer said she was “perplexed and disappointed” by the US response to ethnic unrest in China this month.
“The response of the United States has been somewhat cold,” she said. “I am perplexed and disappointed.”
She added, however, that “I do not believe the United States will remain quiet. I believe it will respond in an appropriate way.”
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but