The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday that they hoped to sign an agreement on Chinese investment in the nation and at least three more accords during the third round of cross-strait talks, scheduled to take place in the first half of this year.
MAC Deputy Minister Liu Te-shun (劉德勳) yesterday said that the council had authorized the Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF) to negotiate three more issues in addition to joint efforts to combat crime: regular scheduled flights, a memorandum of understanding on a financial supervisory mechanism and Chinese investment in Taiwan.
The authorization came just a day after SEF Chairman Chiang Pin-kung (江丙坤) said on Wednesday that the MAC had so far only authorized the foundation to negotiate one issue listed on the agenda for a third round of cross-strait talks. There were six categories and 19 issues on the planned agenda.
Chiang said although the MAC had agreed to let the SEF negotiate on efforts to combat crime, the council had yet to specify the content of the negotiations or approve a team of negotiators.
Liu yesterday said that the council’s decision to authorize the SEF to negotiate on three more issues had nothing to do with what Chiang had said on Wednesday. He said he hoped the MAC and SEF could begin negotiations after the Lunar New Year holidays.
Different teams of negotiators would be put together in accordance with the nature of the issues to be negotiated, Liu said, adding that most of them would be government officials.
While Chinese investment was not placed on the planned agenda, MAC Chairwoman Lai Shin-yuan (賴幸媛) said yesterday that was because Beijing had only recently agreed to discuss the issue.
“Bilateral talks must not be just wishful thinking,” Lai said. “Both sides must be willing and ready to talk.”
When asked for details on the Chinese investment proposal, Lai said both sides had recently agreed on the topic, but that there had been no decisions made on the scope. The government has expressed an interest in allowing Chinese investment in infrastructure projects and the real estate market.
Lai dismissed criticism that the council had been too slow in authorizing the SEF to negotiate, saying it required careful evaluation before negotiations could take place.
Meanwhile, Liu said yesterday that so far 12 Taiwanese firms have asked for a total of NT$700 million (US$21 million) in compensation from firms Duqing (都慶) and the now-bankrupt Sanlu (三鹿).
Duqing is a Chinese supplier of non-dairy creamer, whose three-in-one drink powders were recalled after tests showed they contained melamine. Sanlu is a Chinese dairy firm that also sold melamine-contaminated milk powder that killed at least six babies and made 290,000 ill.
Lai said most of the compensation requests were made against Duqing.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy