The planned distribution of shopping vouchers would help boost retailers and other service sectors, but more stimulus measures are needed to lift domestic demand amid the looming global recession, economists said yesterday.
In another bid to mitigate the effect of external financial shock, Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) unveiled details yesterday afternoon of a plan to give out shopping vouchers valued at NT$3,600 (US$108.32) to all citizens to help businesses weather the economic downturn.
The measure, intended to raise GDP growth by 0.64 percentage points next year using NT$82.9 billion (US$2.5 billion) in special funding, came two days before the state statistics agency is scheduled to update major economic pointers.
PHOTO: CHANG CHIA-MING, TAIPEI TIMES
Liang Kuo-yuan (梁國源), president of Polaris Research Institute (寶華綜合經濟研究院), said that the policy could trigger a positive business cycle as increasing consumer spending would boost domestic demand.
However, Liang said it was too early to gauge its full impact.
“With consumers spending more, industries will supply more goods and services,” Liang said. “The trend may spell more employment opportunities and increase personal disposable income.”
The timing of the distribution will play a crucial role in the policy’s effectiveness, the academic said, suggesting that the government carefully consult the economic indicators to be released tomorrow.
“The vouchers would have less effect if they were distributed when people have just received their pay or as GDP hits a new low,” Liang said. “The longer the distribution takes, the weaker its impact on the economy will be.”
The Cabinet still needs to obtain approval from the legislature before it can distribute the vouchers.
Liang said that more stimulus measures would be necessary if the nation’s economic situation turns out to be worse than expected.
The government is set to lower next year’s GDP growth forecast, with all major trading partners, except China, expected to post negative growth.
Chen Miao (陳淼), a research fellow at the Taiwan Institute of Economic Research (台經院), said domestic service providers may breathe a long-awaited sigh of relief once the policy is put into practice.
The sectors have suffered falling profit margins on surging raw material costs and slumping consumer spending, Chen said.
But Chen said it remained to be seen if the plan would turn out a burden on the national treasury, with the government already promising a spate of tax cuts and outlays.
Christina Liu (劉憶如), the top adviser at Daiwa Institute of Research Co, said the stimulus measure would be good for domestic consumption and economic growth, but that the government should take steps to prevent forgery and other problems to maximize its impact.
To that end, Liu said it made more sense for the government to give the vouchers to individuals rather than households whose sizes vary.
“It would not be fair for singles to receive the same amount as families with children,” Liu said.
The Cabinet originally intended to distribute the vouchers to all individual households with an annual income of NT$1.2 million and below, but policymakers argued the restriction would have turned the plan into a welfare subsidy rather than an economic stimulus.
“There is no need to exclude the rich from the measure as they pay their share of taxes,” Liu said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his