General Motors Corp is in preliminary talks with Cerberus Capital Management LP’s Chrysler LLC about a possible merger or other partnership, a person familiar with the talks said.
The talks are very early and it’s not clear whether they will result in any agreement, the person said, who asked not to be named because the discussions are private.
The New York Times reported the talks on Friday and said Cerberus is also holding talks with automakers including Nissan Motor Co and Renault SA, citing unidentified people.
Cerberus spokesman Peter Duda did not return phone calls. Chrysler spokeswoman Shawn Morgan had no immediate comment. GM spokesman Tony Cervone also had no comment.
GM, which hasn’t made money since 2004, and Chrysler, which has said it won’t be profitable this year, are under pressure to cut costs and increase liquidity as US auto sales have fallen to the lowest level since 1991 and the credit crunch, touched off by the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers Holding Holdings Inc, is making it harder for customers and dealers to get loans.
Cerberus said last month that it was trying to buy the 19.9 percent of Chrysler that is still owned by Daimler AG.
Chrysler LLC said on Sept. 25 it would fire about 250 employees as part of a plan to eliminate 1,000 salaried positions by the end of last month.
Daimler wrote down the value of its Chrysler stake from US$1.2 billion at the end of last year to US$231 million at the end of June as the automaker’s fortunes declined.
Chrysler, which isn’t required to report financial information, has said it won’t be profitable this year. The company said that through June, it earned US$1.1 billion before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization.
Standard & Poor’s analyst Robert Schulz said on Friday that GM, Ford Motor Co and Chrysler may be forced into bankruptcy as the global credit freeze damps US sales.
“Macro factors could overwhelm them at some point” even as GM, Ford and Chrysler vow to stick with their turnaround plans, Schulz, Standard & Poor’s lead automotive credit analyst, said in a Bloomberg Television interview in New York.
The companies said they have no plans to seek bankruptcy protection.
With all three companies working to boost cash, any bankruptcy filing would be a last resort, not a “strategic” decision, Schulz said.
“We don’t see that as something they would choose,” he said.
Schulz said the “trigger” for a forced restructuring under bankruptcy protection would be based on the automakers’ ability to preserve liquidity as sales decline. Industrywide US sales slid 27 percent last month, the most in 17 years.
“With auto sales stalled in the US and beginning to contract in the rest of the world, we believe GM’s cash needs are increasing,” Barclays Capital analyst Brian Johnson in Chicago wrote in a note on Friday. “Moreover, the downside risk of greater decline in worldwide auto sales driving greater cash needs is increasing.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his