Financial Supervisory Commission Chairman Gordon Chen (陳樹) yesterday urged stock investors to remain calm and rejected a newspaper report that more than 20 listed companies might be experiencing financial difficulties.
“The report’s information has been proved wrong,” Chen told a media briefing yesterday, referring to the front-page article in yesterday’s Chinese-language Economic Daily News, which cited a study by business information provider Dun & Bradstreet Inc (D&B).
Chen said that nine of the 20 “financially troubled” companies cited by D&B — including mobile service provider First International Telecom (大眾電信), HTS Technology Co (新泰伸) and Ya Hsin Industrial Co (雅新實業) — were not traded on either the TAIEX or the GRETAI.
In addition, shares of six of the 20 companies had had their stocks banned from trading on the stock exchange.
Another two companies — Optodisc Technology Corp (遠茂光電) and Far Eastern Air Transport Corp (遠東航空) — have made public their plans to delist from the GRETAI later this month or next month, the commission said.
Chen said the stock exchange had long had an early warning system that effectively identifies potential company failures.
Investors should not panic so easily over groundless market rumors, he said.
The stock exchange will look into the accuracy and appropriateness of the US-based investment adviser’s report before considering taking action against possible market manipulation or mistakes, Chen said.
He did not say what action the commission could consider against D&B or the newspaper.
Asked about the slump in local equities in recent months, Chen said it had to do with the recent exodus of foreign capital from the local stock market.
However, he said the capital outflows were purely an investment decision based on the capital liquidity of international funds in various markets and their global capital allocation.
Chen dismissed speculation that foreign investors were misleading the government by saying the valuation of local shares was attracting their interest, while actually offloading shares to government-owned funds.
“When they talked to us earlier, I felt that they were sincere [about injecting capital into the local stock market],” Chen said.
The Taiwan Stock Exchange Corp yesterday also dismissed the D&B report, saying it was not fair to judge a company’s financial health based solely on its payment records and that credit, debt, liquidity and other indicators should be factored in.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CRYSTAL HSU
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his