The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) caucus accused the government yesterday of ignoring national defense after it allegedly halted plans to upgrade the Taiwan-made Indigenous Defense Fighter (IDF) warplanes.
The Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday that the Cabinet decided to halt a plan to upgrade IDF fighters, or the Hsiang Chan Project, despite President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) approval of the project.
The report said the Cabinet’s decision was made to avoid undermining warming relations with Beijing.
DPP Legislator Kao Jyh-peng (高志鵬) told a press conference at the legislature yesterday that the DPP caucus condemned the move, adding that defense priorities had changed dramatically since Ma took office in May.
“The government not only is unable to procure F-16C/Ds from the US but has also canceled the upgrade of the IDF fighters,” Kao said.
“It is totally ignoring national defense,” he said.
He said that Ma’s dream of ultimate unification with China has had a sustained impact on military policies.
Kao said that under Ma’s administration, Taiwan would probably surrender to China if it were to launch a military attack.
The Hsiang Chan Project includes plans to enhance the IDF’s firepower, lengthening its range and providing it with the capability to attack Chinese radar control systems, runways, fuel depots and amphibious troops.
Taiwan began to develop the IDF in 1980 when the US was unwilling to provide it with F-16s. Taiwan built 130 IDFs with the help of defense firm General Dynamics, which manufactures the F-16.
In 1992, Taiwan succeeded in ordering 150 F-16A/Bs from the US and 60 Mirage 2000-5s from France.
As plans for the IDFs were more than 20 years old, the Aerospace Industry Development Corp (AIDC) launched the NT$7 billion (US$230 million) Hsiang Chan Project to upgrade the aircraft.
On March 29 last year, AIDC showed the first two upgraded IDFs to former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁).
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and