Grab Holdings Inc is partnering with Singapore Telecommunications Ltd (Singtel) to apply for a full digital banking license, jumping aboard a Singaporean government initiative to attract technology firms into its financial sector.
A Grab entity is to own a 60 percent stake in the consortium that will apply for the bank license in Singapore, while the telco known as Singtel is to hold the rest, according to a joint statement.
The consortium plans to set up a digital bank targeting so-called digital-first consumers, as well as small and medium enterprises that lack access to credit.
The Monetary Authority of Singapore unveiled plans this year to grant as many as five virtual bank licenses to boost competition and innovation.
Of these, two will be full bank licenses and three wholesale licenses limited to serving corporate clients only: The first category requires capital of S$1.5 billion (US$1.1 billion); the second S$100 million.
Southeast Asia’s digital lending market is expected to more than quadruple to US$110 billion by 2025, according to a report by Bain & Co, Google and Temasek Holdings Pte.
Bids for the new virtual licenses are due by the end of the year. Several other groups have expressed interest in joining Singtel and Grab in applying, including billionaire Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (阿里巴巴) founder Jack Ma’s (馬雲) Ant Financial Services Group (螞蟻金服), gaming gear-maker Razer Inc and Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp (華僑銀行).
Efforts to open up the Singapore banking industry to technology companies come on the heels of a similar move in Hong Kong, where Ant Financial and Chinese competitors, including Tencent Holdings Ltd (騰訊), obtained licenses earlier this year.
For Grab, a digital banking business complements its growing suite of services built atop a ride-hailing platform that is expanding regionally.
Its advantage over other non-bank companies is an existing share of online payments built up under the GrabPay brand from ride-sharing users and local merchants.
Grab does not disclose the number of users — which include many for food delivery — but said its app has been downloaded onto more than 166 million mobile devices in Southeast Asia.
The company, which started out as a taxi booking app in Kuala Lumpur in 2012, has expanded into financial services across Southeast Asia in partnership with 60 financial institutions, including United Overseas Bank Ltd (大華銀行) in Singapore and Malayan Banking Bhd in Malaysia.
It set up the Grab Financial Group last year, which, among other things, provides digital payments services and personal loans. It also launched a numberless card with Mastercard Inc and plans to start wealth management services next year.
Singtel has delved deeper into financial services as growth in its core telecoms business plateaus in an uncertain economy.
The company swung to a net loss of S$668 million in the quarter ended September, due to an exceptional item related to Bharti Airtel Ltd.
The carrier has been offering its own mobile payments service in cooperation with regional associates, including in Thailand. Users can pay via its Dash app when traveling wherever Dash’s partners are located. The app can also be accessed through Apple Pay.
Digital banking is a natural extension of the company’s existing mobile financial services, Singtel’s International Group CEO Arthur Lang said.
“We want to fundamentally change the way consumers and enterprises bank,” he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort