Germany’s Delivery Hero has agreed to buy South Korea’s top food delivery app operator Woowa Brothers for US$4 billion and form a joint venture to take on heavyweights like Uber Eats in other fast-growing Asia markets.
The deal, announced yesterday by Woowa, is the biggest global play so far for a food delivery app, one of the hottest tech sectors around.
Woowa said the sale was “a survival strategy” in an intensely competitive market and also the biggest deal involving a South Korean Internet firm.
South Korea, with a dense population and a high smartphone penetration rate, is the world’s No. 4 market for online food orders. A huge jump in the number of single people living on their own is also propelling the boom in food delivery services.
Delivery Hero’s Yogiyo app ranks second behind Woowa’s Baedal Minjok, but the sector leader faces stiff competition from rivals such as e-commerce firm Coupang, backed by Japan’s deep-pocketed Softbank Group. Uber Technologies Inc’s UberEats restaurant delivery business pulled out of South Korea earlier this year, reflecting the intensity of competition.
“The [food] delivery market has been flooded with gigantic Japan-backed capital and influential online platforms, leading Woowa to factor in partnership as a survival strategy,” a spokesman at Woowa Brothers said.
South Korea’s online market for food delivery and pickup has more than doubled over the past five years to US$5.9 billion — bigger than Japan and Germany’s markets combined, and trailing only China, the US and the UK, Euromonitor data also showed.
Euromonitor expects the South Korean market to jump to US$9 billion by 2023.
It was not immediately clear whether the deal between the two leading players in the market would face antitrust hurdles.
Under terms of the deal, Delivery Hero is to acquire an 87 percent stake held by Woowa investors, such as Goldman Sachs, Singapore fund GIC, Hillhouse Capital and Sequoia Capital.
Delivery Hero is to acquire the remaining 13 percent owned by Woowa’s management in the future, a Woowa spokesperson said, without elaborating on a timeline.
Established in 2010 as a food delivery firm, Woowa Brothers grew fast to become the nation’s top online food delivery services firm, taking over 30 million orders per month, and expanded into the business of provided shared kitchen space for restaurateurs, as well as moving into Vietnam.
Founder and CEO Kim Bong-jin, 43, is to head up the newly formed joint venture with Delivery Hero, based in Singapore, to tap into the booming food delivery market in Asia.
Regional players like Singapore-based Grab and Indonesia’s Gojek are already well implanted.
The growing global food delivery trade has triggered a wave of dealmaking and rising valuations.
The purchase of Britain-based Just Eat is set to top the Delivery Hero-Woowa deal: Dutch firm Takeaway.com is in talks to buy Just Eat in a transaction that values the latter at £4.3 billion (US$5.52 billion), an offer that Dutch-based technology group Prosus recently topped.
For Delivery Hero, buying Woowa would expand its presence in the fast-growing Asia market even as Europe becomes more competitive.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his