Germany has suggested the creation of an EU-wide unemployment insurance system to make the eurozone more resilient to future economic shocks, German Minister of Finance Olaf Scholz said in an interview published yesterday.
The proposal, outlined in an interview with Der Spiegel magazine, is part of Germany’s efforts to seal a reform package together with France ahead of this month’s European Council meeting.
“I’m in favor of supplementing national systems for unemployment insurance with a reinsurance for the overall euro zone,” Scholz said in the interview.
If a eurozone member faces an economic crisis that leads to massive job losses and a heavy burden on its social-security system, the country could borrow from this joint reinsurance fund, Scholz said.
“Once the recession is over, the country would pay back the funds it borrowed. At the same time, all countries should make efforts that their safety nets are as prepared for crisis as possible,” he said.
Asked whether Germany would bear the risk of this new scheme, Scholz replied: “No, Germany profits. The German Federal Employment Agency’s reserves would remain untouched, and no debts will be communitized.”
The minister said the step would strengthen the financial stability of the eurozone as a whole, without disadvantages for the German unemployment insurance system.
“It’s similar to how things work in the US. There, individual states fund unemployment insurance, but pay into a federal fund. In times of crisis, they can borrow money from it to better share the burden — without running into problems,” Scholz said.
Scholz, who is also vice chancellor and a former labor minister, pointed to Germany’s labor market experiences during the financial crisis in 2008, when the government prevented massive job cuts through a state-subsidized program to finance reduced working hours — the so-called Kurzarbeit scheme.
“Why shouldn’t we apply this same experience to the eurozone? In my view, we need further solidarity-based elements in the eurozone,” Scholz said.
Scholz also underlined his determination to introduce a financial transaction tax in Europe — a plan he outlined in a Reuters interview last month.
He said he backs a French proposal that revenues from such a tax on all kinds of stock market transactions should flow into the EU budget if it was implemented by all countries.
“Brussels could, for example, use those revenues to finance development work,” he said.
Many eurozone countries have doubts about such a tax, but Scholz said the idea of turning the tax into a source of European revenue could change the debate.
“The timing is good for a project like this,” he said, pointing to upcoming negotiations about the EU’s future budget and the “significant revenue shortfall” caused by Britain’s departure from the bloc.
“We are also discussing the creation of an additional fund for investments. As such, it makes sense in this context to consider whether funding for these efforts should be collected at the European level,” Scholz added.
Asked how much money such a financial transaction tax could contribute to the EU budget, Scholz said it could bring in 5 billion to 7 billion euros (US$5.89 billion to US$8.25 billion) if it was introduced in the EU as a whole.
“That is not enough on its own to cover the financial requirements, but it is a substantial contribution,” he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his