Indigenous women from the Amazon rainforest have called on Ecuadoran President Lenin Moreno to end oil and mining projects on their ancestral lands, as the nation pushes to open up more of its rainforest to drillers.
Their meeting late on Thursday with Moreno at the presidential palace in Quito comes after the Andean nation launched a new bidding round this month for foreign companies to develop oil and gas reserves.
Ecuador, one of the smallest OPEC producers, hopes to attract about US$800 million in investment to boost production that the government says is vital to improve its sluggish economy.
However, women from Amazon indigenous groups say oil exploration damages their livelihoods, as well as the environment and water sources on ancestral lands, and comes amid growing deforestation in unspoiled areas of the biodiverse region.
“We don’t want more oil and mining companies,” Alicia Cahuiya of the Waorani group told the president. “Oil has not brought development for the Waorani — it has only left us with oil spills and sickness.”
She also told Moreno, who was flanked by several ministers, that the government was failing to consult properly with indigenous communities about planned oil and mining projects on their lands — a right they are entitled to under law.
“The oil and mining issue does not stop worrying me, because there is a future to take care of,” Moreno said at the meeting, which was streamed live on Facebook. “What you are completely right about is the importance of dialogue consensus, dialogue decisions ... about any decisions of my government with respect to oil and mining concessions.”
The women presented Moreno with a list of demands they call the “Mandate of Amazonian Women,” which includes stopping oil, mining and logging projects, and conducting official investigations into attacks against indigenous leaders.
“I hope [the president] will take this mandate seriously,” Nina Gualinga, one of about a dozen women who took part in the meeting, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.
Simmering tensions — including protests — between indigenous communities seeking to protect their lands and state-owned and foreign oil companies have been ongoing in Ecuador for decades.
The issue has come before the Inter-American Court of Human Rights, which in 2012 ruled in favor of Ecuador’s Sarayaku indigenous community in the Amazon.
The court said Ecuador had violated their right to prior, free and informed consultation before drillers in the late 1990s started exploration on lands where the Sarayaku people live.
“We will return to our communities and wait for a response from the government,” said Zoila Castillo, vice president of the parliament of the Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities of the Ecuadorian Amazon. “If we do not receive a response in two weeks, we will be back.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his