State-run First Commercial Bank (第一銀行) yesterday denied allegations that its employees were involved in last week’s automatic teller machine (ATM) hacking incident, which led to the theft of more than NT$83 million (US$2.5 million).
“An internal probe by the company did not reveal evidence suggesting that the theft was an inside job,” First Commercial Bank president Chou Po-chaio (周伯蕉) said at a news conference following a question-and-answer session with the legislature’s Finance Committee.
The allegations that rogue employees were involved in the hack arose because First Commercial Bank was the only institution targeted among the many banks that use the same Wincor Nixdorf ATM model.
Photo: CNA
Chou said the company respects prosecutors’ efforts in investigating the case and that it has been cooperating with authorities.
Based on the bank’s latest tallies, suspects involved in the ATM heist had tampered with 41 machines and made off with NT$83.27 million in cash, higher than the NT$70 million it had estimated earlier.
Chou said it took the bank some time to tally losses at ATMs not installed at the bank’s branches, as the process must be conducted with the company’s security and surveillance service provider.
The bank did not attempt to downplay the severity of the heist, he said.
Taipei police on Thursday said they were looking at the possibility that an international organized crime ring was involved in the ATM hacking.
The police said they were tracking down six suspects, most of whom were from Eastern Europe.
There are no Taiwanese on the list of suspects, they said.
The modus operandi was similar to another heist carried out several years ago in Europe by an international organized crime ring, the police said, adding that there is a possibility of a link between the two cases.
The police said two of the suspects — identified only as Russian nationals Berezovskiy, 34, and Berkman, 28 — have already left Taiwan, while a third suspect, whose nationality is not yet known, has also left the nation.
Since no large amounts of cash were found in the luggage of the two Russians at Taiwan’s customs, police believe that the stolen money is in the hands of a Latvian suspect identified as Andrenjes and others who are likely still in Taiwan.
First Commercial Bank said that an internal probe found that the heist was committed without “inserting cards” or “handling the ATMs in any incorrect or illegal way,” but the machines were simply “spitting out” a steady stream of bills.
Chou said suspects had implanted a self-deleting software virus into the ATMs, which has made subsequent forensic investigations more difficult.
However, investigators might be able to find clues from two of the ATMs, as a passerby had alerted bank security of suspicious activity, forcing the suspects to flee before they finished collecting the cash, Chou said.
Chou apologized to the public and reiterated that an internal audit showed that the heist did not affect customers’ deposits and accounts, and that the company would take full responsibility if discrepancies are found.
Additional reporting by CNA
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his