Walt Disney Co has taken three Chinese firms to court over concerns local animation The Autobots copied elements from Disney’s own hit movie Cars, as the US firm looks to protect its drive into the world’s second-largest economy.
A court in Shanghai held a hearing on Tuesday, a Disney spokeswoman confirmed.
The dispute was over “copyright infringement” and “unfair competition,” according to a notice on the Shanghai Pudong New Area People’s Court Web site.
Disney is making a major push into China with the recent opening of a US$5.5 billion theme park in Shanghai, its first on the mainland, while its animated movies, including Zootopia and Big Hero 6, have been big box office hits in the country.
However, the iconic US firm faces tough competition in the market from local theme park developers, popular Chinese animations and counterfeits from merchandise to fake Disney hotels.
Chinese authorities have promised to give Disney “special” trademark protection.
The Autobots drew ire from netizens in China when it was released last year, with some pointing out similarities with Disney’s 2006 film Cars starring Owen Wilson and its sequel in 2011. Cars 3 is sheduled to be released next year.
Zuo Jianlong (卓建榮), the director of The Autobots for production company Blue MTV (藍火焰影視動漫), said in an interview yesterday he was “relaxed” about a potential ruling.
“Lots of people online have talked about plagiarism, but it seems from the legal side that the matter is quite clear — at root there is no plagiaristic behavior,” he said. “If you put the two films side-by-side to compare them, then you will know they are completely different.”
Disney declined to comment further on the case.
The Chinese film is about animated racing cars, including main heroes K1 and K2, while Disney’s offering follows the story of legendary racing car Lightning McQueen.
The three Chinese firms involved in the suit are production company Blue MTV, media company Beijing G-Point Film Culture Media Co (北京基點影視文化傳媒) and online content platform PPLive Inc (聚力傳媒技術).
An official for Beijing G-Point, who gave her name only as Ms Cheng, said the firms had hoped to reach a settlement, but Disney had been opposed to this.
She added G-Point was not involved in production, but rather in the film’s distribution.
China’s box office hit about 45 billion yuan (US$6.8 billion) last year, and is growing fast, a lure for overseas studios to tap into the market, despite a cap on imported films, censorship concerns and a rising challenge from locally made movies.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his