A surge in China’s prices failed to stem steel exports in the first four months of the year, signaling that demand remains weak in the top user. Futures in Shanghai slumped by the exchange limit yesterday.
Shipments climbed to 36.9 million metric tonnes in the four months to last month, up 7.6 percent from a year earlier, according to data released by China’s General Administration of Customs on Sunday. Mills boosted exports even as prices of steel rebar in Shanghai advanced by more than 50 percent at one point this year to their highest level since September 2014.
Steel prices in China had rebounded from five years of losses as the economy stabilized, the property market improved and investors piled into raw material futures.
Photo: Reuters
Shipments of the raw material slid to 9.08 million tonnes last month from 9.98 million tonnes in March as a rally revived profit margins at some mills and curbed their need to seek increased income from markets outside the country.
Steel-product exports surged “despite a rebound of domestic steel prices, indicating that Chinese steel demand might be weaker than expected,” analysts, including Edward Morse at Citigroup Inc, wrote in a note dated yesterday.
Steel rebar, used to strengthen concrete, yesterday slumped by the exchange limit to 2,175 yuan (US$334) a tonne. Futures had surged to 2,787 yuan on April 21, the highest intraday level since September 2014, spurring bourses in China to take steps to curb a speculative frenzy in commodities.
Last year, steelmakers in China shipped a record 112 million tonnes overseas, sending the global market into a tailspin as profits and prices collapsed. This year, the sales might ease to 100 million tonnes as local demand strengthens, according to an estimate from the China Iron and Steel Association.
Iron ore imports last month totaled 83.92 million tonnes, compared with 85.77 million a month earlier, according to customs figures.
Over the first four months, purchases of ore were 325 million tonnes, about 6.1 percent more than in the same period last year. China is the world’s largest buyer of seaborne iron ore, and its mills account for about half of global steel supply.
ArcelorMittal, the biggest steel-producing company in China, last week cautioned that while it saw a broad recovery in the global market, Chinese prices might have overshot and could fall back.
Risks remained in China because fundamental overcapacity still existed, ArcelorMittal chief financial officer Aditya Mittal told reporters as the Luxembourg-based company reported a drop in quarterly earnings.
“Steel mills, skeptical of whether the high price is sustainable, continued to be keen to sell overseas,” said Wei Yingsong, an analyst at Mysteel Research.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his