Minister of economic affairs-
designate Lee Chih-kung (李世光) yesterday compared the impact of the OBI Pharma Inc (台灣浩鼎) controversy on the nation’s biotechnology industry to a “tsunami.”
OBI Pharma “definitely has an influence” on the biotech industry, Lee said during an interview with radio host Clara Chou (周玉蔻).
Photo: Huang Pei-chun, Taipei Times
“The impact looks like the beginning of a tsunami,” he added.
Lee said it was hard to say how long it would take for the industry to recover from the scandal, sparked by allegations of insider trading and conflict of interest at OBI Pharma, adding that it would depend on public sentiment.
Most developed countries value the biotech industry and understand that it requires long-term investment, he said.
“I am not trying to speak for OBI Pharma. The insider trading and conflict of interest allegations are indeed significant issues, but I think the public should seek the truth and look at the matter rationally,” Lee told reporters after the interview.
Lee declined to comment on Academia Sinica President Wong Chi-huey’s (翁啟惠) role in the case, saying that Wong should explain the matter to the public.
Wong is an internationally renowned academic, Lee said, adding that he does not think Wong’s involvement in the controversy is a “shame.”
However, the scandal and its effect on the public have affected the reputation of Academia Sinica, he said.
Local media reports have also revealed that Lee’s younger brother, Howard Lee (李世仁), is an independent board member of OBI Pharma and a member of Academia Sinica’s research and development results management committee — sparking a new round of speculation about conflict of interest.
C.K. Lee said that his brother’s situation cannot be classified as a conflict of interest, because the committee does not deal with individual companies.
Moreover, his brother does not receive remuneration as committee member, only a transportation allowance of NT$1,000 to NT$2,000 each time, C.K. Lee said.
However, he has asked his brother to consider resigning from OBI Pharma and the committee given his ministry post.
C.K. Lee also confirmed that he has dual citizenship, but said he had submitted an application to the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) to give up his US citizenship, with an interview scheduled next week.
C.K. Lee, who is to take up his new post on May 20, is to visit Minister of Economic Affairs John Deng (鄧振中) on Monday to talk about the handover, the ministry said.
The 56-year-old said his biggest challenges in his new post would be finding ways to boost economic development, increase wages for young people and attract international talent to Taiwan.
His first task when he assumes office will be to promote development of the green energy sector in Taiwan in the hope of building a demand-oriented industry as soon as possible, Lee said.
He said he will also push for reform of the industrial sector, which has complained of water, electricity, land, and labor shortages.
Lee said he was made aware of the problems during his tour on April 28 of various industrial and commercial enterprises, which also mentioned other problems such as limited access to funding and consultancy services.
Additional reporting by CNA
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his