Credit Suisse Group AG is upbeat on Taiwan’s telecoms as the sector’s “big three” make a concerted effort to raise the threshold price for unlimited 4G subscription plans.
Earlier this month, Chunghwa Telecom Co (CHT, 中華電信), the nation’s largest carrier, announced plans to raise the threshold of its unlimited monthly plans — including subsidized purchase of a new handset — from NT$988 (US$30.6) to NT$1,399.
Raising the threshold for unlimited data plans to shepherd the market is in the direction of adopting tier-pricing and fair usage policies, Chunghwa Telecom told an investors’ conference yesterday.
Taiwan Mobile Co (台灣大哥大) and Far EasTone Telecommunications Co (遠傳電信) have followed suit by increasing prices for new unlimited subscription contracts, effective next month.
“We view CHT’s new plans as sentimentally positive as the bar for the true unlimited plans has been set higher,” Credit Suisse analyst Varun Ahuja said in a note issued on April 11.
In addition, the price hikes coincide with the beginning of a 4G renewal cycle that is anticipated to begin in the second half of the year, as contracts expire among high-end customers who were early adopters of 4G, Ahuja said.
The big three will continue to offer monthly plans at about NT$999 and NT$1,199, with generous data allowances of 15GB and 25GB respectively. They are also aggressively promoting lower-end 5GB plans priced at about NT$500.
However, Ahuja said pricing is expected to continue improving over the next two to three years.
In the first quarter, Chunghwa Telecom reported a 0.8 percent annual gain in sales to NT$56.89 billion, with net income rising 11.9 percent annually to NT$11.66 billion, or NT$1.5 per share.
Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) rose 7.8 percent year-on-year to NT$21.92 billion, the company said.
Taiwan Mobile saw its sales last quarter drop 2 percent annually to NT$29.2 billion. Net income declined 1 percent to NT$3.77 billion (NT$1.39 per share), but EBITDA rose 11 percent to NT$8.4 billion.
Far EasTone’s sales last quarter were NT$23.82 billion, 3.9 percent lower than a year ago, while net income rose 0.5 percent to NT$3 billion (NT$0.92 per share) and EBITDA climbed 4.9 percent to NT$6.85 billion.
In a separate note issued yesterday, Ahuja attributed the strong growth in EBITDA to lower handset subsidies which were a result of tepid response to iPhone 6S.
"We expect the benefit of lower handset subsidies to continue until the first half of 2016" ahead of the launch of the new iPhone, Ahuja said in the note.
Overall, EBITDA growth this year may remain robust due to improving pricing dynamics and lower total subsidies, Ahuja said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his