China’s trade performance last month was worse than expected as tepid demand persisted at home and abroad, raising expectations of further government measures to arrest the slowdown and to quell market jitters.
Last month, exports fell 11.2 percent from a year earlier — the seventh straight month of decline — while imports tumbled 18.8 percent — the 15th month of decline, data released by China’s General Administration of Customs showed yesterday.
Exports declined even though China has allowed the yuan to weaken nearly 6 percent against the US dollar since August last year, underlining the extent to which global demand has weakened.
China posted a record trade surplus of US$63.3 billion last month, partly due to soft demand and falling commodities prices, versus US$60.09 billion in December.
“Overall, we believe the sharp drop of trade in January was a reflection of weak external demand, especially given the weak exports of neighboring economies such as [South] Korea and Taiwan,” ANZ economists Liu Ligang (劉力剛) and Louis Lam (林慕爾) wrote in a research note.
“The record-level trade surplus indicates that China continued to run a large current account surplus, and this should help offset some of the capital outflow and alleviate some depreciation pressure on the renminbi [yuan],” they said.
Analysts polled by Reuters had expected exports to fall 1.9 percent, after slipping 1.4 percent in December, while imports had been expected to drop only 0.8 percent, following a 7.6 percent slide in December. The poll forecast a trade surplus of US$58.85 billion.
China will keep the yuan basically stable against a basket of currencies and it will not allow speculators to dominate market sentiment regarding China’s foreign exchange reserves, People’s Bank of China Governor Zhou Xiaochuan (周小川) was quoted as saying on Saturday.
Chinese Premier Li Keqiang (李克強) has said Beijing will not promote exports through currency depreciation, although some policy advisers have been calling for sharper yuan falls.
“Today’s numbers hint that Chinese currency is still under pressure to weaken. That said, strength in onshore and offshore yuan is largely due to the central bank’s effort to dampen speculative positions,” said Zhou Hao (周浩), Commerzbank Asia senior emerging markets economist in Singapore.
Chinese exports to the US, its biggest market, fell 9.9 percent year-on-year last month, while exports to the EU — its second-biggest market — dipped 12 percent, the customs data showed.
The customs office said it expected downward pressure on Chinese exports would ease, starting in the second quarter this year.
A source at the Chinese Ministry of Commerce also said that the government would not set an annual target for foreign trade this year.
Some economists, such as those at ANZ, suspected that false trade invoicing, often used to hide speculation in the yuan, may have distorted last month’s numbers even further, pointing to big swings in trade with Hong Kong.
Fake transactions were widely suspected to be one reason behind a much milder drop in December trade than markets had expected.
The customs data showed that Hong Kong’s exports to mainland China fell 2.6 percent year-on-year in dollar terms, while its imports from the mainland jumped 108.1 percent.
China’s total trade last year tumbled 8 percent from 2014, well below the government’s target of 6 percent growth and the worst performance since the global financial crisis.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his