The Canadian government is pushing for changes in the dual-class share structure of embattled aircraft manufacturer Bombardier Inc in exchange for possible financial aid, officials familiar with the plans said.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government, which is reviewing a request by Bombardier to help fund the development of its C Series jet, is concerned about the company’s corporate governance rules through which the Bombardier family controls the business, three people familiar with the file said.
If the Canadian government imposes a governance condition, it may force Bombardier into a tough choice: loosen family control of the business or give up federal funding. The 73-year-old Bombardier has been reduced to a penny stock as investors lose confidence in a company that’s two years behind schedule and about US$2 billion over budget in the development of its C Series jet.
The Trudeau government, meanwhile, faces its own risk that changes in governance could leave Bombardier vulnerable to a takeover.
Canadian Economic Development Minister Navdeep Bains, asked on Feb. 2 whether he was pressing for changes to the share structure, would say only the government continues to review its options.
“We just want to do a thorough job of looking at the business case,” said Bains, Trudeau’s point-man on the Bombardier file.
Members of the Bombardier family of Quebec control the manufacturer through its dual-class share structure by holding more than 50 percent of the voting rights in the company, despite only owning a minority equity stake.
The company has been tinkering with its governance. Pension fund manager Caisse de Depot et Placement du Quebec, in exchange for its US$1.5 billion investment in Bombardier’s rail division last year, won some concessions including a say in the appointment of independent directors.
Asked about whether the government may seek changes to the dual-class share structure, Brian Tobin, a former Liberal industry minister who is now a Bank of Montreal investment banker, said he “can’t imagine” that corporate governance is not a factor in the government reviewing the business case.
“I am certainly sympathetic that a government or governments should look very hard at this before they just turn their backs and walk away,” he said.
Trudeau has avoided taking a direct position on Bombardier. The Liberals hold 40 of Quebec’s 78 electoral districts and face political pressure to avert collapse of an iconic company that has lost 44 percent of its share value since Trudeau took power.
Quebec’s provincial government has already stepped in with funding, and Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre is among those calling for a quick decision.
“Bombardier’s important for Canada,” Coderre said in a Feb. 5 interview. “Bombardier, there’s thousands and thousands of jobs all over the country and we have to help them — with due diligence, of course.”
Canada should “immediately” provide funds to Bombardier while the company waits for the US Federal Aviation Administration to certify the C Series jets, according to Luc Theriault, parliamentary leader of the separatist Bloc Quebecois in the House of Commons.
Some onlookers expect Trudeau will have no choice but to offer some aid to the Quebec plane maker.
“From a political point of view, it’s a no-brainer,” Fred Lazar, an associate economics professor who studies aerospace at York University in Toronto, said in a Feb. 1 interview. Discussions are therefore just a matter of what the Trudeau government can get from Bombardier in return, he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his