British Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne on Thursday announced a review of how retailers at major airports in Britain collect sales tax from their customers.
The investigation, which is expected to be completed by early this year, comes after several retailers were accused of not passing along savings to consumers who bought items at major hubs including Heathrow Airport near London.
Regardless of their nationalities, passengers at British airports who are flying to destinations outside the EU are exempt from paying valued-added tax (VAT), which can reach 20 percent. The measure applies not only to duty-free stores, but also to retailers as varied as Boots UK Ltd, WHSmith PLC or Dixons Retail PLC.
However, some retailers at the country’s largest airports were found by the government to have been charging the additional tax in cases they were not allowed to, and keeping it rather than passing it on to tax authorities.
As a result, some travelers have refused to provide their boarding passes at cash registers. Airport retailers use boarding passes to determine whether customers are required to pay the sales tax, and the stores cannot claim rebates without that information.
The new investigation is to look at how retailers collect the sales tax from consumers traveling in the 28-member bloc and further afield. It was unclear whether the inquiry would result in fines for retailers or refunds for shoppers.
“VAT relief at airports is intended to cut prices for those travelers, not be a windfall gain for shops,” Osborne said in a statement on Thursday, adding that some retailers had been keeping half of every pound (US$1.47) of potential tax savings owed to individuals.
“Many people could be paying over the odds for their purchases, because the government’s VAT concession isn’t passed on,” he added.
This is not the first time that the British government has warned retailers about how they collect taxes from shoppers at airports. In August last year, the British Treasury scolded retailers at British airports, saying they should reduce prices for customers who are not required to pay value-added tax.
“While many retailers do pass this saving on to customers, it is disappointing that some are choosing not to,” Treasury official David Gauke said in August. “We urge all airside retailers to use this relief for the benefit of their customers.”
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he