China’s GDP growth likely slowed further in the second quarter, an AFP survey has found, as a slowdown in investment and trade weighed on the world’s second-largest economy. The median forecast in a poll of 14 economists indicates GDP expanded 6.9 percent in the April-to-June quarter, marginally down from 7 percent in the first three months of this year.
That would be the worst quarterly result since the first three months of 2009 — in the depths of the global financial crisis — when China’s economy expanded by 6.6 percent.
The National Bureau of Statistics is set to release the official GDP figures for the first quarter of this year on Wednesday. China’s volatile stock markets have grabbed headlines this month after the benchmark Shanghai Composite Index fell more than 30 percent in less than four weeks.
However, economists are focused on more fundamental issues when assessing its overall health.
“According to the figures we have now, economic activity remained very sluggish, particularly fixed-asset investment, which grew 11.4 percent in May, a multi-year low,” ANZ Hong Kong-based economist Liu Li-gang (劉利剛) told reporters of the second-quarter performance. “Exports were weak and imports were even more so.”
State Information Center analyst Li Ruoyu said the economy is still under “quite big downward pressure.”
Li said new restrictions on local government debt and finance vehicles have limited lower-level authorities’ ability to fund infrastructure projects.
“The implicit guarantees of the local governments are gone, hurting their borrowing abilities,” she said.
The stock market turmoil could also create new risks in China’s financial system, which faces numerous other challenges such as high corporate debt and an opaque “shadow banking” sector.
However, the swings in equities are largely seen as having little effect on the real economy — a key driver of global growth — and unlikely to prove a major detriment to private spending.
“Given that the stock market didn’t provide any noticeable boost to spending on the way up, there is no reason to expect it to be a drag on the way down,” Capital Economics China specialist Julian Evans-Pritchard wrote in a report.
“With only a small and relatively wealthy portion of Chinese households exposed to the stock market, we aren’t particularly concerned about the impact of recent big falls in equity prices on consumption.”
For this year as a whole, the AFP survey predicts growth at a median 7 percent, more optimistic than a forecast of 6.8 percent in a similar poll in April and in line with the government’s official target of “about 7 percent.”
The IMF last week left its forecast for China intact at 6.8 percent this year, brushing off worries over Shanghai share volatility.
“The puncture of what had clearly become a stock market bubble may have some limited effect on spending,” IMF chief economist Olivier Blanchard said on Thursday. “There is no particular reason to have lost confidence [in China’s economy].”
China last year recorded its slowest annual growth since 1990, expanding 7.4 percent, down from 7.7 percent in 2013.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his