Greece and its creditors are locked in last-ditch talks, with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker trying to broker a deal over the weekend.
Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras sent a delegation to Brussels this weekend with a new set of proposals to close differences on pensions, taxes and a primary surplus target. With positions hardening, the talks are Juncker’s last attempt to reach a compromise, according to an EU official who asked not to be identified.
Representatives of the IMF, the European Central Bank and the European Stability Mechanism are waiting in the wings to join the negotiations if progress is made between Greece’s envoy and Juncker’s chief of staff. The aim was to reach an deal before markets open today, the official said.
Photo: EPA
European leaders from German Chancellor Angela Merkel to EU President Donald Tusk have voiced growing exasperation with what they describe as Greece’s brinkmanship that has pushed Europe’s most-indebted country to the edge of insolvency.
Juncker warned Tsipras on Thursday that the Eurogroup would start making preparations for a Greek euro exit if creditors did not approve a last-minute deal, Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung reported yesterday, without saying how it obtained the information.
Tsipras has spent four months locked in an impasse with the creditor institutions. The latest Greek counterproposal is the second this month. The first was dismissed.
Greek stocks dropped by 5.9 percent on Friday, with bank shares dropping by 12 percent, as talks remained deadlocked. The yield on Greek 2017 bonds rose 137 basis points to 20.03 percent. US and European equities and the eurozone’s higher-yielding bonds also tumbled amid growing concern Greece that would run out of time for reaching a deal to stave off default.
The IMF spiked an attempt by Juncker to broker a compromise allowing Greece to defer 400 million euros (US$451 million) of cuts in small pensions if it reduced military spending by the same amount, Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung reported, citing unidentified people with knowledge of the negotiations.
The EU declined to comment on the report.
This must “be the last negotiation taking place in crisis conditions,” Greek Minister of Finance Yanis Varoufakis said in a television interview broadcast yesterday.
“The target of the negotiation is get out of the crisis. For that, you need Greece to go back to markets, so a restructuring of the debt is needed,” he said.
Greece would not sign up to a fiscal plan that does not work, Varoufakis said.
Merkel told Tsipras that it is time to accept the framework for financial aid. Greece’s bailout extension expires on June 30 and some national legislatures need to ratify any agreement before funds can be disbursed, which narrows the window for a deal.
“Where there is a will, there is a way, but the will has to come from all sides,” Merkel said last week. “That is why I think it is right that we talk to each other again and again.”
Not everyone was good at hiding their frustration. Earlier last week, Tusk rebuked Tsipras for “dragging his feet” on a debt agreement and the IMF team left Brussels, voicing despair over Greece’s tactics.
“If the Greek government is not willing to take difficult measures, even if they are unpopular, then Greece will never be saved,” Dutch Minister of Finance and Eurogroup President Jeroen Dijsselbloem told reporters in The Hague on Friday.
Speculation about a Greek exit from the eurozone is “exceptionally dangerous,” and such an outcome would have unpredictable consequences, Austrian Chancellor Werner Faymann said in an interview in Real News.
Whatever the outcome, Athens would not call snap elections or a referendum, Tsipras told his team on Friday, according to a statement from the Greek government.
“If we have a sustainable agreement, however heavy the compromises, we will lift the weight,” Tsipras said. “Our only criteria is exit from the crisis and the memorandum of servitude. [However,] if Europe wants division and a continuation of servitude, we will refuse.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort