The European Central Bank (ECB) has analyzed a scenario in which Greece runs out of money and starts paying civil servants with “IOUs,” creating a virtual second currency within the eurozone, people with knowledge of the exercise told reporters.
Greece is close to having to repay the IMF about 1 billion euros (US$1.08 billion) next month and ECB officials are becoming concerned.
Although the Greek government has said repeatedly that it wants to honor its debts, ECB officials are considering the possibility that it might not, in work undertaken by the so-called “adverse scenarios group.”
Any default by Greece would force the ECB to act and possibly restrict Greek banks’ access to emergency liquidity funding.
Officials fear that such an action could push cash-strapped Athens into paying civil servants in IOUs in order to avoid using up scarce euros.
“The fact is we are not seeing any progress... So we have to look at these scenarios,” said one person with knowledge of the matter.
An ECB spokesman said it “does not engage in speculation about how specific scenarios regarding Greece could unfold.”
A Greek government official who declined to be named said there was no need to examine such a scenario because Athens was optimistic it would reach a deal with its international lenders by the end of the month.
Greece has dismissed a recent report suggesting that it would need to tap all its remaining cash reserves across the public sector, a total of 2 billion euros, to pay civil-service wages and pensions at the end of the month.
ECB experts have concluded that using IOUs to pay public-sector wages would probably fail to avert a full-blown crisis and could even threaten Greece’s future in the eurozone.
Those officials believe that up to 30 percent of Greeks would end up receiving such government IOUs, rather than payment in euros, which would only put further pressure on Greek banks because those workers would likely plunder their savings.
The banks would then be forced to tap increasing amounts of emergency liquidity funding or boost their capital base.
However, the banks could not use the IOUs as security for drawing down the emergency credit because the ECB would not accept them.
“The IOUs, I just don’t think it can work,” said the first person who spoke to reporters. “That could effectively be it, they would be out [of the euro].”
Those fears were voiced by others familiar with ECB thinking.
“With a parallel currency ... you are getting to something so tailored that you are almost in ‘Grexit,’” a second person said. “It is something that is outside the institutional set-up.”
A Greek default could force the ECB to intervene and insist that any security offered in return for emergency funding be cut in value to reflect the nation’s default status.
Greek officials insist that there is no plan for default. However, in a recent letter from Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras to German Chancellor Angela Merkel, he said wages and pensions would have to take priority before repayment of debt if he was forced to make a choice.
The conclusions of the ECB’s adverse scenario group are in line with the message eurozone officials have been sending to Athens for some time, namely that they should not go it alone with radical measures.
For the ECB, the introduction of a type of second currency in Greece would also hamper it in setting borrowing costs in the eurozone.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his