Tumbling oil prices and the worst rout in Greek equities since 1987 sent European shares to their biggest weekly slump in more than three years.
Friday’s 2.6 percent plunge in the STOXX Europe 600 Index was the largest in almost two months and extended the week’s losses to 5.8 percent. That was more than double the five-day drop in the MSCI Asia Pacific Index and Standard & Poor’s 500 Index.
With oil tumbling to a five-year low, European energy companies slumped to their lowest level since April 2009 and commodity producers had their worst week since May 2012.
GREEK COLLAPSE
In Greece, anxiety that voters will kick out leaders committed to the nation’s bailout sent the ASE Index down 20 percent, making it this year’s worst-performing equity market after Russia.
“Investors are taking profit on the eurozone, which has performed quite well since October,” Claudia Panseri, a global equity strategist at SG Private Banking in Paris, said by phone. “With oil furthering its decline, all commodities are under pressure, especially miners.”
After rallying 13 percent from this year’s low to an almost seven-year high on Dec. 5, the STOXX 600 retreated to its lowest level since Oct. 29. The gauge is now up only 0.7 percent for this year.
OPEC said it sees demand for crude next year at the weakest level in 12 years, and the International Energy Agency cut its global demand forecast for the fourth time in five months. That pushed oil down further and energy stocks in Europe sank 9.4 percent this week. Royal Dutch Shell PLC lost 7.7 percent and Total SA fell 9 percent.
MINING FALLS
A gauge of miners tumbled 8.5 percent, reaching its lowest level since July last year. BHP Billiton Ltd lost 10 percent and Rio Tinto Group declined 7.4 percent.
Friday’s drop in Greek shares sent the ASE to its lowest level since July last year. Piraeus Bank SA and National Bank of Greece SA slumped more than 27 percent this week for the biggest declines among STOXX 600 shares.
Greece’s government said it would start the process of electing a new president early. The risk is that Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras will have to call a parliamentary election that anti-bailout party Syriza might win, reintroducing the turmoil that threatened the European currency union two years ago. Syriza wants a writedown on Greek debt held by eurozone member states and the European Central Bank.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort