Demand for HTC Corp’s (宏達電) new Nexus 9 tablet cobranded with Google Inc is so strong that the company is expanding its production capacity to meet orders, HTC North Asia president Jack Tong (董俊良) said yesterday.
“Consumers from major destination markets are really excited about the launch of the Nexus 9,” Tong told reporters on the sidelines of a product launch ceremony in Taipei, which also showcased the HTC Desire Eye, a selfie-focused smartphone, and the Desire 820, which features dual SIM cards.
Google’s Nexus 7 tablet was a success, and the impressive pre-orders for the Nexus 9 can be seen as a continuation of the Nexus 7’s success, Tong said.
Photo: CNA
He added that HTC is considering promoting its own tablet products, but as the global tablet market is shrinking, the company will first observe market reaction to the Nexus 9 and carefully consider how to carve out a niche for itself.
As sales of 7-inch tablets have been affected by the emergence of 5.5-inch and even larger smartphones, HTC may seek to promote higher-end tablet models, he said.
“Product differentiation is a key issue, and we are still thinking about [our strategy],” Tong said.
On Monday, Taipei-based Digitimes Research said in a report that global tablet shipments would post their first-ever annual decline this quarter.
The report said that tablet shipments would reach 74.53 million units this quarter, down 10.1 percent from a year earlier, citing a gradually saturated global market.
Taiwanese manufacturers, including both brandname vendors and contract makers, would account for 64.1 percent of tablet shipments this quarter, or a total of 30.64 million units, as peak-season demand drives up sales of devices from Apple Inc, Amazon.com Inc and Asustek Computer Inc (華碩), the report said.
Commenting on the company’s target for mid-tier smartphone sales, Tong said that the HTC Desire 816, which was launched in May, has topped sales in Taiwan for months.
He said the company expects the HTC Desire Eye and Desire 820 to solidify the company’s position in the mid-tier smartphone market and continue the strong sales momentum this quarter.
Aggregate shipments of the HTC One (M8), Desire 816 and Butterfly 2 have reached more than 1 million over the past six months, Tong said.
Overall, the company’s performance this quarter should be better than last quarter, based on the shipment figures, he added.
In a conference call last week, HTC said that revenue for this quarter could reach NT$43 billion to NT$47 billion (US$1.4 billion to US$1.53 billion), an increase of 2.71 percent to 12.27 percent from NT$41.86 billion last quarter.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his