Greece has begun talks for ending IMF aid to the country, but is set to continue to have routine post-bailout reviews by the Washington-based group, a Greek official said after talks with IMF managing director Christine Lagarde on Sunday.
The IMF is deeply unpopular in Greece for insisting on austerity cuts under Greece’s multibillion US dollar EU/IMF bailout, and Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras hopes that cutting ties with the IMF will help turn around his flagging political fortunes.
Greek leaders told the IMF that the crisis-stricken nation could quit its rescue program more than a year early when officials met in Washington.
Greek Minister of Finance Gikas Hardouvelis told Lagarde that Athens can do without further loans, which have propped up the nation’s economy since it came close to crashing on a mountain of deficit and debt in 2010.
“We don’t need the rest of the money that from the start of next year we were on course to get from the current memorandum. We can leave it one-and-a-half years earlier ... that is our goal,” Samaras said.
Aid disbursements from the IMF had been due to expire in March 2016, in contrast to funds from eurozone countries, which end this year.
At 240 billion euros (US$304 billion), the lifeline was the largest rescue program in global financial history and was aimed at preventing the debt crisis that affected Athens from spreading to the rest of the eurozone.
Samaras denies that Greece now wants an acrimonious divorce from the IMF.
The organization, perhaps more than the EU, has insisted on tough reforms and austerity measures in return for the rescue funds.
The tightening has exacerbated a six-year recession, the worst on record, left a quarter of the workforce unemployed and seen support for Samaras’s fragile coalition fall.
Hardouvelis, who met Lagarde with Bank of Greece Governor Yannis Stournaras, presented a plan detailing the nation’s ability to cover its financing needs from bond markets.
“Everything is on the table, the discussions have started ... we will have a relationship with the IMF, but not under the same conditions,” a Greek Ministry of Finance spokesperson said.
Last week, Lagarde said she believed Athens would continue to require aid before it could go it alone.
“The country would be, in our view, in a better position if it had precautionary support,” she said. “So we are talking about evolution in the relationship, but we believe that the relationship can still be extremely helpful for the country to move on.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his