South Korea is to offer tax breaks to encourage businesses to increase wages and dividends as South Korean President Park Geun-hye seeks to spur domestic demand to support the economy.
Companies increasing pay next year more than in previous years are to receive an income tax credit and the levy on dividends is to be reduced, the South Korean Ministry of Strategy and Finance said in a statement. If passed by the South Korean parliament, the new rules would be effective for earnings and dividends incurred for three years starting in January next year.
Wage growth is not keeping pace with corporate profits in South Korea, where household debt is rising while companies hoard cash. The government announced 11.7 trillion won (US$11.3 billion) in fiscal support last month as weak consumer spending drags on growth.
“It’s time for our tax codes to actively support our policies to revitalize domestic demand,” Vice Minister of Stragey and Finance Joo Hyung-hwan told reporters in Sejong before the release. “Incentivizing businesses to increase wages and dividend payouts aims to channel corporate income back to households and society.”
Wages have failed to keep up with earnings, with an index measuring household income growing by 193 percent between 2000 and 2012, compared to a 300 percent increase for company earnings, the ministry said in a separate statement.
Weak income growth has contributed to record household debt, as people borrow money for housing and living expenses. The debt-to-disposable income ratio was almost 164 percent in 2012, higher than that of the US and Canada and above the average 135 percent for members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, according to the South Korean Financial Services Commission.
South Korea’s KOSPI benchmark stock index has an estimated dividend yield of 1.2 percent, the lowest among 46 emerging and developed markets. That is even as companies in the gauge had a record US$174 billion of cash at the end of March, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
Samsung Electronics Co had cash and near-cash items worth about US$17 billion at the end of the first quarter and its dividend yield is 1.1 percent, while Hyundai Motor Co has a yield of 0.8 percent and about US$7.4 billion of cash equivalents, data compiled by Bloomberg show.
“It may do more harm than good as pressure to increase wages and dividends may push companies and large business plans away from Korea,” said Kwack Tae-won, a Seoul-based economics professor at Sogang University. “While these could provide a temporary boost to financial markets, its hard to see them boosting household income.”
The revisions, which the ministry said would raise at least 568 billion won between next year and 2019, are to be submitted to the South Korean National Assembly by Sept. 23.
Companies restricted from mutual investment due to their cross-shareholding structures will face a 10 percent tax penalty on part of their income until 2017 unless their spending on wages, investment and dividends meets a level set by the government. Details of this are to be announced after parliamentary approval, the ministry said.
The measure is aimed at pushing the family-controlled multinationals known as chaebol to increase salaries and boost investment. The founding families of Samsung and Hyundai control their group companies through cross shareholdings.
South Korea’s economy grew 3 percent last year and the government last month lowered projected growth for this year to 3.7 percent, as domestic demand shrank after the Sewol ferry accident. Private consumption fell 0.3 percent in the second quarter, the biggest fall since the third quarter of 2011.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his